Thursday, November 10, 2011

Spray Paint Craziness

I decided to finish decorating our powder room the other day and there were a few things that I had in mind to make it just right.
I had a plan to paint it a tan color. I already had two dark brown frames and a caddy that held our toilet and extra hand towels, but I thought that they would be too dark for the room if they were tan walls. So I decided to spray paint them white. Easy right? Well not really.
This was my first time spray painting anything, so now I have a few tricks up my sleeve. Hopefully it will become a little easier each time, because its actually fun and the finish products are great.
So I took the two frames down from the wall and tried to take the pictures out of the frames. They weren't coming out! Ugh! We got the frames with the pictures and they were just canvas paintings stuck inside of the frames themselves. I thought I was going to break it in half by trying to pull them out, so I left them in. This was a huge scare because I had a feeling that the paint was going to get on the painting. So I taped up the painting as good as I could and set them out in the garage with the caddy.



Mr. Hunt was out in the garage with me to watch and take pictures and this is where it got interesting.




Sorry for the grubby look, I was in my pjs. PS: make sure you are in a ventilated area, the fumes can get to ya!

So I'm spraying away, doing a pretty good job for a first time and all of the sudden the nozzle on the top got stuck and it just kept spraying even when I took my finger off. I started freaking out because I couldn't get it to stop spraying. I was screaming for Mr. Hunt to help, but of course he was just holding the camera laughing, so I kept spraying (obviously..what else was I to do)? I thought if it wasn't going to stop, then I might as well finish the job. Right then Mr. Hunt decided to step in and see if he could fix it. He took pliers and started trying to pull the nozzle back up and SPLAT, it sprayed all in his face! Now I was the one laughing. He dropped the bottle and stormed inside. By the way, Mr. Hunt doesn't have a lot of patients and so I thought for sure the was going to be frustrated and mad. When I ran in after him he was laughing too! He said he was just glad that it didn't get on his gamecock jersey that he was wearing. He would have been POed if it got on that!
The good news is that he got it to stop spraying, the bad news is that I wasn't finished spraying and it was a waste of paint that was still in there.
So I had to wait until the next day to go get another bottle of paint and so my projects looked like this now:

The brown was still coming through, so I definitely needed another coat of paint.
So off to Home Depot I went the next day to get another bottle. Mr. Hunt watched off to the side again to see if anything funny would happen again. Thank goodness we were in the clear. The problem this time is that even after three coats, that brown color was still coming through a little. I debated spraying more coats on but it was already starting to look coated on and lumpy.
What to do what to do? I decided to make the frames into a worn, vintage look. So the next day (the third day of this project now) I went and got some sand paper and started to sand a few areas on the frames.
Note: The frames would have turned out a lot better if I knew I was going to do the worn look from the beginning. After the three coats had dried, it was hard to sand the paint off in some places. Normally you would sand it right when it was drying.
Good thing I'm not a perfectionist, because I probably would have got frustrated and thrown them away. I think they turned out GREAT though!
Last but not least was taking the tape off the painting to see if the spray paint seeped through. First one, good! Perfect! Second one, not so good. Ugh! Of course Mr. Hunt tried to help by scraping it off with a knife, but it didn't work as planned.
So we are left with two good frames and one with a painting in it. I hung it in the bathroom and it looks awesome! The other frame is just waiting for a place to go now, also looking just as good.



Oh, the caddy you ask? Well that one was a breeze and it also turned out great! Stay tuned for the final powder room reveal.

Thanks for reading y'all,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting