Friday, November 11, 2011

Powder Room Makeover

It was finally time to do something to our drab powder room. The powder room is right off of the den and this naturally was the next place for me to update since this is where most people are when they come over. Our den, along with the kitchen is painted a light yellow color. I still like it, but I'm quickly wanting to do something totally different.
Anyway, instead of painting the powder room the same yellow, I decided that a nice light tan would look really good. I also need to paint our staircase and loft and wanted to do that a light tan also, so I thought what better than to test a color out on the powder room.
Well I'm so glad that I "tested" this Behr Twig Basket color because I will definitely NOT use it on the staircase and loft, it turned out WAY too dark.
As I was painting, I almost burst out in tears, thinking about what Mr. Hunt was going to say. This was my project while Mr. Hunt was gone to Dallas a few weeks ago for work. It kept getting darker and darker as it dried and then was turning a dark green color.....nothing close to tan at all.
Once the whole room was finished and I waited a few hours, I went back in a realized that I actually like it, it isn't as bad as I thought. I knew once the decor was in there, it would look a lot better. I was now just crossing my fingers that Mr. Hunt would feel the same way.
I actually warned him when he came back before going into the room. When we looked at it, the first thing he said was "I really like it, it is WAY better than the white." Phew, that was a close one, I really didn't want to repaint that room again.
So lets take a look at the before and afters already right?

These are the before pictures with the bright plain white walls:


See the little storage caddy and two frames? Those are the ones I spray painted!

And here are the after pictures with the darker than expected brownish green color, the newly painted frame since one didn't make it) and caddy. I think it looks a lot better.




For now the colors in there are pretty dark. The dark walls, and the darker green accents. I tried to lighten it up a bit with the white details, but I think I'm going to add a really bright accent color in there soon. Maybe bright yellow, or pink, or red. We will see! I will keep you updated.

What lessons did I learn? One is that when I pick a color that I think looks good on the color swatch, I will always choose one or two shades darker. I am still looking for the perfect color for the staircase and loft, so let me know if you have any good colors. Two is just because a room is small, doesn't mean it won't take long to paint. I thought this was going to be a breeze and I was far from right. How in the heck do you paint behind a toilet? Don't ask me? Mine still has white behind it.....shhhhhh! Once finished I had paint EVERYWHERE! How do you get paint in between your toes, in your hair, and on the back of your neck? I'm not sure about that either.

XOXO,
Jen Hunt

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting