Saturday, March 31, 2012

Gruene Texas

Mr. Hunt and I met up with his Aunt Susan, Uncle David, Cousin Andrew, and his girlfriend for the day in Gruene Texas this past Sunday. Pronounced Green!
Gruene Texas was originally home to some German Farmers and it really hasn't grown much from that. They have kept it old fashion and quaint since then which I love. You can park and walk around to the different shops, restaurants, and listen to free live music which is there most of the time. There is also a river that runs through the town that you can rent a tube and float down. Mr. Hunt and I will definitely being going back to do that.
We ate lunch at one of the restaurants with Mr. Hunt's family when we first got there.  Then we walked around a bit.


When there is a wait at the restaurant, they write the names up on this large chalkboard and call your name from the stage.


This is the side of the dance hall where we walked through and saw the band that was playing for a half or a song before they went on a break.



So we headed over to the General Store for some ice cream. Not only did they have ice cream, but they also had chocolate covered bacon, jalapenos, and beef jerky. No, I didn't try any of them. I'm not that adventurous, and Mr. Hunt was already wandering around the store (or he would have tried one of them).


Then we browsed around the store while I finished my ice cream.


There were a few strange things in that General Store including these "brief" cases. WOW!


Then we headed back to the dance hall to hear the band a little more before heading home. He played the guitar or banjo, sang, and played the bass guitar with his feet. You see the sign that says Boot Bass? He explained that he played the bass with his boot like a piano kind of. There was one other musician in the band....the drummer. I guess the one man couldn't possibly play the drums too.


All in all, it was a nice day. It was beautiful weather and its always fun to explore new places. We will definitely go back to see everything else we missed and also to float down the river.

Love,
JRH

2 comments:

♥ Jennifer said...

Ok, I'm not even kidding...my friend named her daughter after that dance hall (Gruene - is her middle name!) They live in Austin, TX. :) Looks like a fun trip.

Unknown said...

Aww thats sweet. I kinda like that name. I was actually thinking about you the other day...I was hoping you lived in Austin (because I have no friends here), but you live in Houston right?

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting