Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Dresser

Ive had this simple dresser for a few years now. Simple as in no curvy lines or too much detail, 4 drawer dresser. I honestly don't remember when I got it, but I do remember that my mom gave it to me and before she gave it to me, she painted it tan.
This was back when I wasn't too into home decor so I let her paint it and gladly took it to furnish my home.  The home that I remember having it in first was our rental in Charlotte. We used it in the entry way into the home as storage. Then when we moved into our home in Charlotte, I put it in the walk in closet and used it for under garments. It got pretty beat up in those two spots and between moves. There were all sorts of marks on it.
When we moved here to Texas, it was clear the drawers couldn't fit into the closet, but there was a perfect spot for it in family room/hallway. One problem, the tan color wasn't doing it for me anymore. It was too neutral and definitely clashed with the light yellow walls. It needed a makeover.
It was actually a lot harder for me to decide what color to paint it because I wanted something fun and bright, but not too much to where everyone's eye goes straight to it when they walk in the house. The color scheme in this house is the same as what I was trying to achieve in the house in Charlotte when we left. Navy, deep purple, kelly green, teal, and lime green are the colors I'm using as accents so I was thinking one of those would work. I will spare you the details that were going through my head to finally pick the color I did because it probably wouldn't make sense, and I just want to get to the fun and the pictures.
So I came home with a quart of paint and some painting supplies and I was ready to take on my first piece of furniture painting ever. I dragged the whole piece outside in the driveway and put it on a large piece of cardboard that I had leftover from all the boxes from unpacking and grabbed all of my other supplies.



The first thing I did was take the actual drawers out of the piece and wipped them down with a wet cloth so that I could get all the dust and dirt off to make a cleaner smooth surface to paint. After they dried, I painted on my first coat of paint. I used a roller for the most part and a small paint brush for cracks and smaller areas that the roller couldn't reach.
As I was painting the first coat, these clouds started to roll in which made me nervous. The last thing I needed was for it to rain on my newly painted furniture.


Here it is with the first coat on, looking good! I decided not to paint the back or the inside of the drawers. No point.



I wanted to paint the knobs a different color for something fun. I already had some spray paint on hand so I just used that to spruce them up. Oh, and while I sprayed the knobs, I went ahead and sprayed some of my new animal friends from Hobby Lobby. Don't judge.


Here they are after the first coat. The trick to spray painting is to spray more lighter coats than less heavy coats. Does that make sense? So that you get the best coverage and don't get any drips. These took about 4 coats.


Then the neighbors from across the street came over to introduce themselves, so the drawers dried while we talked and were definitely ready once they left. I slapped on the second coat of paint, let it dry, and it was done. I let it dry for about 3 hours outside while my fingers were crossed that it wouldn't rain. Then brought it inside and put it all together in its designated spot. The stuff on top of the table aren't necessarily staying there, but you get the idea. Cute huh?


I think the knob color goes well with the paint.


Here is a close up.


I love it. It makes the space more unique. I might have just created a furniture painting/spray painting monster. I like knowing that nobody else has the same piece of furniture. Oh, and if you were wondering what we keep in the drawers (I don't blame you, isn't everyone a little nosey?), the top drawer is our medicine drawer, and the second is the dog drawers with treats, medicine, leashes etc. The other drawers don't have anything in them yet, sorry.

What should I paint now? Ill be back in a few days with a few pictures of the house with all the furniture now that most of the boxes are gone.

Love,
furniture painting fool

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting