Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Car Top Carrier Trouble

After Grandaddy's party, we headed straight home to finish packing the car, grab the dogs and go.
Here's a little behind the scenes of the packing of the car. You know how Ive been couponing a lot right? Well that means that I had a lot of cleaning supplies. Those are the best things to stock up on because they don't go bad as fast like food can. Remember me saying the movers wouldn't pack cleaning supplies? Yeah, so we had a lot of stuff to pack on our own. Well, I should say I did, not we. Mr. Hunt wasn't on board.
When I originally told him and showed him (on FaceTime) how much stuff we had to pack on our own, he said "I think we are going to have to throw away some of those cleaning supplies." My heart sank. Maybe only other people that coupon will understand, but I worked hard for those cleaning supplies, I couldn't just throw them or give them away. So I tried to take matters into my own hands. I decided that if I could pack the car all by myself even before Mr. Hunt came home from Austin, then he would have no clue what I packed and he wouldn't have a chance to get frustrated at all my cleaning supplies. So I packed the whole car top carrier with all the cleaning supplies and all the important paper work. All that was left was the huge suitcase, the dogs crates, and a few other bags of random stuff. From the naked eye, it looked like it could fit perfectly in the middle seat.

On Saturday morning, Mr. Hunt had to go to his old office and clean out his desk. He told me that most of the stuff would have to be thrown away, but he would have a small box of all his plaques and trophies that he has earned that he wanted to bring to the Austin office. After a few hours went by I started to wonder what was taking Mr. Hunt so long so I called and there was no answer. Hmmmm, he must still be cleaning his office, its taking a lot longer than I thought, we might be late to Grandaddy's party.
Then I got THE call.
Mr. Hunt: "Hey babe"
Me: "Hey, where are you?"
Mr. Hunt: "I made a boo boo"
Me: "What....?"
Mr. Hunt: "I destroyed the car top carrier"
This is when I thought for sure he is pulling my leg. Mr. Hunt loves to do that to me. For example, I would talk to him and he would tell me he was on his way home, then when I would talk to him again, he would tell me that he had to do one more thing at the office and he was just now leaving. I would be upset since I was waiting for him this whole time, and then he would walk in the door laughing at me and loving that I fell for the trick again. So for sure I thought he would be pulling up in the driveway any second laughing at me.....but not this time.
Me: "How, what happened?"
Mr. Hunt: "I went in the garage at work and forgot it was up there"
Me: "Oh....
LONG PAUSE
Me: "So what now? What are we going to do? We are going to be very late to the party"
Mr. Hunt: "Well I'm at Sears now, I just bought another car top carrier and my Dad is pulling up in the parking lot right now to help me put it back on.
Me: "Man, that's a lot of money, that thing is $250 and we already bought one"
Mr. Hunt: "Well my dad told me that he bought the first one for my birthday"

Mr. Hunt was a very smart husband this particular day. He didn't call me or tell me what happened until he already had a new plan figured out. Thank God for that because I probably wouldn't have had a heart attack if he called me right away.
Mr. Hunt was home a little bit after that, and we started to re-pack the car top carrier. Thankfully nothing was broken or smashed or lost when the car top carrier was destroyed, but Mr. Hunt did have to unpack the whole thing in the Sears parking lot. That means he saw all of the cleaning products....oops! My plan was soiled! Dang!
When we repacked the car, Mr. Hunt was very patient with me and allowed me to repack all the cleaning supplies initially. When we started to pack the middle seat in the car once we got back from the party was when we realized there really wasn't room. That's when Mr. Hunt got annoyed at the cleaning supplies. I would say he was annoyed with me.....but lets just say he was annoyed at the cleaning supplies, not me :)
We had to unpack the car top carrier once again and repack once again. At this point we were both exhausted. Packing that thing is hard work.
I ended up having to get rid of all the cleaning supplies, a plant pot from Ikea that I just bought, and a ton more. With the box of plaques Mr. Hunt brought home from the office, and a whole bunch of other stuff that kept accumulating the the "pack pile," there really was no room for them. All the other stuff was way more important to bring. I was so sad, but there wasn't anything I could do. Then I realized that I was being stupid. Its just cleaning supplies. You didn't even pay full price for them and you can just get more when you get to Austin.
We FINALLY had the whole car packed and we were FINALLY headed to Texas. The car top carrier trouble was just a little bump in our path.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting