Thursday, March 8, 2012

The 20 Hour Drive Part II

We went to sleep in Mississippi around 2:30am (3:30amEST) and decided that we would just sleep until we woke up. That could have been dangerous except that we didn't sleep that well.
Hannah decided to show a different side of herself that night/morning. We have never stayed at a hotel with our fur babies so its not like we knew what to expect, but she was a different Hannah.
Hannah has always been the more outspoken fur baby (most of you already know this). Neither one of my fur babies bark...ever. If they do, we automatically think something is wrong. Well, Hannah decided to turn on the watch/protector dog mode that night in the hotel.
First she sniffed around at EVERYTHING TWICE....or more. In the middle of all of that she would jump onto the bed, lay down for less than a minute, and then jump back down. Every time she did this it would stir up River who was trying his hardest to be a good boy. Then every once in a while she would decide to bark. This was very bad because it was 3:30am and she was loud. Not everyone staying there had dogs and she wasnt supposed to be bigger than 50lbs, and that bark sounded bigger than 50lbs. The worst part was when the employee slid the receipt under the door at 5am, she let loose! Barking like someone was about to stab us. For a split second, I thought someone HAD to be in our room. So needless to say, we didn't get much sleep. It was like we were half sleep, half awake the whole time. At least we now know that if someone were to break into our house, Hannah would protect us and probably scare them away.
So once 9am rolled around, we were ready to hit the road again knowing that we probably wouldn't get too much more sleep since Hannah would let out a bark every time someone shut their hotel room door (and that was a lot since it was already 9am).
Mr. Hunt went right outside to get the fur babies food. I was worried River would make himself sick. They didn't eat that well the day before since we were trying to get them to eat in parking lots with a lot of other things to distract them. He gets sick very easily. If he has to go to the bathroom really bad, if he gets too hungry, or even if he just gets worked up for some reason, he will make himself sick, poor guy. The fur babies scarfed their food down like they have never eaten before and two minutes later, River threw it all up. Sigh, I knew this would happen. Good thing he just threw the food right back up and it was easy to clean. We packed everything up, snuck the fur babies out of the hotel, fed River again in the parking lot, and hit the road.
We only had about 9 hours left this day (listen to me....ONLY? I never thought Id say that). I started to drive first. I had just woke up and I had a cup of coffee to drink so I figured now would be the best time to drive. I ended up driving three hours before I got sleepy! I was so proud of myself. Mr. Hunt took over and he ended up driving the remainder of the way.
This was my view for most of the way....


My MIL Kaki gave me some books on tape and I actually listened to one whole book between my turns driving and the very end of the trip. I listened to "Double Shot," it was good. The sheets of paper are directions I printed off online. We didn't take that route at all, we just followed the GPS, so much for planning ahead.
The fur babies we very good the second day. They probably figured they would be in the car all day like they were the previous day, so they just got comfortable and behaved. The fact that we had all 6 of our pillows and their blanket back there with them probably helped them get comfortable. Even Hannah didn't jump up right away when we opened the back door to let them out each time. Usually they jump right up and jump out before you can catch them. Hannah was so comfy, she just laid their until we dragged her out of her "bed."



So after 20 hours, we were finally in Cedar Park Texas, right outside of Austin, at our new and empty home. It was around 9pm so by the time we set up the blowup mattress and emptied the car so that Mr. Hunt could drive it to work the next day, we were ready for bed.
Still to this day, Mr. Hunt and I can't believe how easy that 20 hour drive felt. We think that we hyped it up so much and the fact that we were dreading it so much, made it so much easier. I'm not sure, but I feel like I wasn't even myself. I was this machine that could drive more than 30 minutes without getting tired and then conform myself into the strangest positions to sleep and then use the restroom in nasty bathrooms and walk the fur babies in the strangest pieces of grass and eat very unhealthy. Yeah, that was what we were....we were machines. We did it.....YAY!


Total Driving Time:
Jennifer: 6 hours
Mr. Hunt: 14 hours

Love,
ME

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting