Thursday, May 16, 2013

Rolling + Teething = Worst Night Ever

Jane has always been a great sleeper. Even when she was first born, she would sleep for 3 or 4 hour stretches, which is from what I hear good. She sleeps through the night with the occasion two or three times having to go in to give her her paci back. She has been swaddled since she was born. She slept so well like that. Then once she started to get too big for the swaddle, I tried to make the transition to no swaddle, by just swaddling one arm. 



We did that for awhile and sometimes for naps I would try to just swaddle her with both arms out, but it always seemed like she slept better with her one arm swaddled. 

Then came the rolling. Jane has been trying to roll for a few months now. First she rolled from her belly to her back a few times for Mr. Hunt. Now she is rolling both ways, but not all the time quite yet.






She doesn't do it every time, but she still does it sometimes. Then one morning, I woke up and looked at our new video monitor and saw that Jane was on her belly. She somehow rolled from her back to her belly with one arm swaddled. I FREAKED out! I knew that she couldn't really move well with one arm. I went right in and swaddled her back with both arms out for the rest of the morning. She rolled over again to her belly and fell right to sleep. 











That day she was rolling all over the place.

I knew then that was the end of the swaddling of any arms. That night I was a little worried that she wouldn't sleep well, but she did great. She rolled to her belly once or twice and woke up to have the paci back, but nothing more than normal. I was happy with the smooth transition. 





Then the next night came. The night that I want to forget. It was Mothers Day night. She was up all night which meant so was Mr. Hunt and I. I had no idea what the problem was. There was so much going on. She was waking up every time she tried to roll over. She would roll to her side and wake up. Then make noises while trying to roll to her belly which woke us up. Then once she was on her belly, she would sleep for a few minutes, then scream because she couldn't get back to her back. I had to go in and roll her back to her back. Then it would start all over again. Also, when she would roll to her belly, she wanted to have her face straight down into the mattress instead of to the side like she did the first morning when she was on her belly. I would watch her on the monitor and see her face down so I would go into her room and try to show her that she could move her head to the side, but she would get mad and put it right back down straight into the mattress. Of course, I wouldn't have that, so I would roll her back to her back again. All this went on all night, and even when she did fall asleep for maybe 30 minutes at a time, I could hardly sleep thinking that she would roll to her belly and be face down.

The next day (Mothers Day) I was so confused. The first night being unsaddled was great. She did fine, but this past night was awful. I didn't know what to do which made me feel worse. Then I realized that all day that day she was fussy. She couldn't even take nap and I knew she was tired from not getting any sleep the night before. Mr. Hunt and I just pushed through the day and crossed our fingers that this next night would be different.

This brings me to my next thing. Teething. Jane has been drooling like crazy for a few months so I didn't think it was teething. Some babies just have extra saliva that they cant control at first so they drool alot. But, recently she has been putting everything in her mouth too. I know that all babies do this at some point too, so again, I didn't think anything about teething. But in my questioning about what could have been wrong the night before, I tried to see if I saw any teeth coming in. Sure enough, I could see two little buds in the front of her gums. They aren't popping through the top yet though, but I can see the gums thinning out.

Plus, look at this



Shes gnawing on her Sophie giraffe teether like its her job.

And look at her covered in slobber


I have also bought some teething rings that I put int he freezer, but she hasn't figured it out yet.

She was so tired that night that she went to bed an hour before her normal bed time. She went to sleep at 8pm and was doing good for about two hours. Right when Mr. Hunt and I were getting ready to go to bed around 10pm she woke up screaming. I decided to give her some Tylenol thinking that it had to be her teething and sure enough she slept great the entire night. I feel so bad looking back at the night before thinking about how she must have been in pain. Poop baby.

The next day, she was fussy again most of the day, so Tylenol was given again, and again she was feeling great. She doesn't have a fever either so it has to be teething. I really hope these things pop out soon, because I cant stand to see her in pain much longer.

So, its actually been a few days since the horrible night and we haven't had a night like that since. She is back to her normal sleeping habits. I'm sure we will encounter nights like that along the way, so I'm now prepared. Either way, I love that little girl so much.

Love,
JRH




No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting