Tuesday, November 13, 2012

My Little Kitten

Today is a sad day. My family had to put my "kitty" to sleep. To make things worse, it is my mom's birthday, but they really didn't have much of a choice. 
We got him even before Davis was born so he's been in the family for a long time. We rescued him from a shelter when he was not even a year old yet, and he was very shy when we first brought him home. I remember me and Dylan would spend hours laying on the floor right next to Dylan's bed and wait for him to come out to play. He would hide under there. It probably didn't help that we were screaming and wanting to hold him constantly. He eventually warmed up to us but was still always really skiddish. Most people probably had no idea we even had a cat because he would only really come around when it was just the family. Although his name was Lucky, we mostly called him Kitty. Im not really sure where that came from, but it stuck.
He got pretty plump and fat there for a few years and would just lay in the sun all day. He loved going outside and got caught in a few trees. He also brought home his fair share of creatures that he caught, and would show them off to us thinking we would be so proud. Deep inside, we all were. 
When I still lived at home, he slept with me almost ever night. I used to think that he was bad about stealing the covers until I got two big labs....he was nothing. 
When I left for college, I was a little worried that he would be lonely since I felt like he only liked me. Davis was still only 7 years old and the cat still associated him with the little boy who LOVES to hold me and sometimes pull my tail. Mom Dad and Dylan loved him too, but I always felt like I loved him the most.



After a few years of me being gone, he started to get old.....as we all do. He lost alot of weight, but still seemed to enjoy going outside and being around the family. I always loved going home and holding him for a little bit. I'm certain he remembered me every time. I'm sure he probably wasn't the most excited when my family brought our dog Charlie into the mix, but he eventually warmed up to him. He never really warmed up to River and Hannah. I don't blame him though, but it was hard for me to spend time with Lucky when we had the dogs there. He usually went outside and never came back until the dogs left.  


As he kept getting older he developed a few annoying habits according to the family. The main one that we all notice was his meowing. He meowed so loud almost all the time when he was in the house and we were all in the kitchen. He would meow for food early in the mornings and wake everyone up, but that's the price you pay when you have a old cat who was probably starting to lose his mind a little.
Every time I would go home, I would make sure I saw him at least once, pick him up, and kiss him, just in case it was the last time I saw him. We all knew that his time was coming. He was 16 years old after all. That's old for a cat!
When I talked to my mom this past Sunday, she warned me that the cat was acting weird. He was breathing heavily and not wanting to go out much (which is very strange for him). She didn't want to take him to the vet right away in fear that something would be very wrong and they would have to put him down. Well, today was the last straw. She said he was slowly getting worse and it was time to take him in. She didn't want to go celebrate her birthday knowing that he was home and possibly dieing.
Sure enough they did an xray to find fluid where it shouldn't be. The kind of fluid that means he had cancer. The vet said he was basically drowning and didn't have long to live.
My mom, dad, and Davis tried to decide whether to bring him home or put him to sleep there. They decided they didn't want to see him in pain or watch him die in pain so the best was to put him to sleep. The sat there while he slowing fell to sleep and stood there for 10 more minutes.

Part of me is glad that I wasn't there, but part of me wishes I were. I wish I could have at least said one last goodbye, because now I cant remember the last time I held him. I know it was when I was home in early October, but I don't remember it like I want to. I wish I knew where I was standing and what I said to him. He probably clawed my shirt in fear of me dropping him like he always did, but I just don't remember the details like I want to.

Lucky,
Although you weren't the most exciting or playful cat that Ive ever seen, you were perfect for our family. I wouldn't have ever traded you for another cat. I really hope that you are in heaven now running around and not in pain or feeling sick. I hope that you weren't too scared at your last visit to the vet, I know it was never your favorite place. Please know that this was the best choice that our family had for you and we will NEVER forget you. Thanks for all the good times and spending your life with our family. We wont be the same without you.

Love,
Your favorite sister Jennifer


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting