Thursday, November 29, 2012

If It's Not One Thing.....It's Another

My poor furbabies had a rough weekend and they are just now getting back to their normal selves. I will admit that its hard enough having one sick (Ive dealt with that plenty of times) but Ive never had to deal with both. I'm glad that this happened during the weekend so that Mr. Hunt was with me to calm me down and help me take care of them.

As I mentioned in the Thanksgiving post, Hannah got sick from the bone we gave her for a treat. Nothing like a treat that makes you sick....poor girl. She never gets sick so this must have been pretty traumatic for her. She was basically sick on and off it seemed. She got sick on Thanksgiving evening and night the most. Then Friday she was sick once and slept alot. Then, just when I thought she was fine, she was sick again on Saturday during the Gamecock, Clemson game. It kind of worked out because one of my best friends Adrienne and her boyfriend Richard were in town and watched the game with us. Normally we are fighting Hannah to calm down and stop annoying the guests, but she basically slept the whole time they were here. Sunday she was back to normal, needless to say, we wont be getting those bones again.

Now, River was a different story. He surprisingly didn't get sick from the bone. I'm not sure if he ate his whole bone or if Hannah got ahold of it, but if you know River at all, its shocking that he didn't get sick. Poor guy cant catch a break. So, with Hannah stealing all the thunder of being sick on Thursday and Friday, River decided he needed something to happen to him too. On Saturday mid-morning, River sat down in front of me and when I looked at him, he was squinting his left eye at me like he was winking. I called his name and tried to see if he was just doing it for some reason, but he didn't stop. I mentioned it to Mr. Hunt and sure enough, he kept doing it. He would blink that eye and squint it alot. I put a warm wash cloth on it thinking that something was just stuck in his eye, but it didn't seem to help. Mr. Hunt and I told each other that if it was like this still tomorrow (Sunday), we would take him into the vet. While Mr. Hunt and I were getting ready for our company to come over for the game, his eye was getting worse. I looked it up on the Internet (which I probably shouldn't have done), but I read that dogs eyes can go from bad to worse in just 24hours and they can go blind. Sure enough it kept getting worse and then not only was he squinting and blinking, he then started to rub it with his paws and on the floor. We decided we had to take him in right then. Long story short, they did a few tests and it wasn't anything major. There was a small scratch in his eye that just needed some drops and medicine for a week. We brought him home just in time for the game. What made me feel better was that besides him looking awful, he was acting normal. He played fetch with Adrienne and Richard the whole game and acted like his eye didn't even phase him.

But he looked like this the whole time.



They said his eye should be better in a week and its already mostly better. He still will squint it a little, but its much better than it was.

As much as I was stressed out this weekend with the sick fur babies, I couldn't help but remind myself that this is what I signed up for, and with a little human on the way, I will probably look back at these times and think these were little problems. I'm sure I will come across worse days, worse weekends, and worse situations. I need to learn to handle these things a little better for sure. I cant help it, these fur babies really are like my babies......and its almost worse since they cant talk to tell me whats wrong.

"This too shall pass" needs to be my motto about these sort of things. Because just like always, that too past, and both fur babies are doing better. Thank goodness!


Love
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting