Thursday, April 18, 2013

My Brother the Fireman

I'm so excited to tell y'all that my brother is now a Bluffton SC Fireman!



I wont go into his whole story because that would be super long, but he has been working so super hard. Like most people, he has had a hard time trying to figure out what he wants to do for a career. He has gone back and forth with alot of things and jobs and now that he is 22, he knew he needed to get his act together and figure something out.

I'm not being harsh on him at all. I totally understand it takes other people alot longer to figure their career out, sometimes people never figure it out. I just know his situation and that he wanted to have something permanent that he enjoyed.

He has also not always been "in shape." He played baseball his entire life and was always one of the best on the team, so of course he was in shape enough for that. But in order to be a fireman, you have to BE IN SHAPE! They don't joke around.

Once he found out about the openings at the fire station, he started to really take care of himself and he was determined.

Here is the best part. He had to do a physical test where he had to complete an obstacle course in less than 6 minutes, pass a written test, and then pass an interview. Out of almost 200 people, they were only picking 25. HE WAS ONE OF THEM! I'm so super proud of all that he has done. They must have been impressed that he could pick up 3 hoses and run while almost everyone else only picked up 2 at a time. OK, Ill stop bragging...but someones gotta do it for him and I'm his big sister, its my job.

He still has alot of work to do, but I know he will do great. He has almost 2 months of training now out of town. I pray for him daily that he will have the strength and most importantly a big heart. I know for a fact he can do all the physical stuff, but I worry about what he may see while fighting fires. And of course the big sister in me will be constantly terrified about him running into a burning house, but that's what the training is for.

He is doing amazing things....LOVE HIM!

Love,
Big sis

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting