Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Eating Update

Our child loves food! Shes a pro eater now and its fun to watch her try new foods. The doctor mentioned that since neither Mr. Hunt or I or any of our family have any major food allergies that we could just wait a few days in between introducing new food instead of a whole week now. There are so many things I want her to try and waiting a whole week was getting old fast. 

Right now, I'm still making all her food which just consists of either mashing or pureeing all the food. Its actually alot easier than I thought it would be and doesn't take that much time. I enjoy doing it. When I mash or puree the food, I make sure to not puree it all the way to a liquid, and allow it to be a little textured. She makes the funniest faces when trying new textures, but its good when she gets used to it. 

Here is what she eats now:

Sweet Potatoes: likes texture and loves taste, she was a little questionable on texture at first
Rice Cereal: Likes texture and taste
Green Beans: Took a while to like the texture and taste, but now loves them
Squash: Loved them from the very first bite
Bananas: took a little bit to get used to texture but loved the taste. Now this is her favorite food so far
Avocados: Doesn't like these AT ALL. We stopped feeding her these
Apples: Just tried them yesterday for the first time. She isn't used to the texture yet or taste, but I think she will like them. 

You might wonder how I know if its the texture or taste she doesn't like. When she doesn't like the texture, she makes a really funny face, but eventually swallows the food. When its the taste that she doesn't like, she will gag and spit the food out. 


She loves when I give her the spoon when she is done. She is smart and knows which part goes in her mouth.


Trying to hit the camera with her spoon.


She has also now tried banana puffs. She is still learning about the texture and how to chew, but she likes them.  For those of you who don't know what they are, they are like the cereal pops. They melt in her mouth too so just in case she doesn't chew it all the way, she wont choke. I put a few puffs on her highchair while I feed her other food. She is learning right now to grab them but doesn't quite understand to put them in her mouth. If I pick one up though, she opens her mouth wide so she knows where they go. A few times, she grabbed my hand with the puff on it and put it in her mouth that way. She will eventually get it.

I am also trying to cut up a few pieces of food that she is eating (if its soft enough, like a banana) and letting her try to grab and feed it to herself. I guess its a little bit like baby led weening. I just like that she is learning to pick up food and feed herself. Also, she learns to chew. Im not doing baby led weening 100% because I know she is eating more when I feed her the purees instead of half of her food being on the floor.

She has also had baby mum mums. She LOVES them. Its basically a large flattened puff. Here she is eating one below. These are good to have in the diaper bag to hold her over if we are out and about.


Lastly, we are also introducing the sippy cup and water now that she is 6 months old. Ive heard alot about how there are pros and cons of all different kinds of sippy cups. There are the ones that are like a bottle where she needs to tip it up to get the water out, and then there are the ones with a straw. We are introducing the straw sippy cups mainly because she already drinks out of a bottle so she will know how to tip a cup up if she needs to unlike babies that are breastfed and wont know either way. If I were still breastfeeding I may introduce both. Right now, she doesn't really know how to sip out of a straw, but she does every now and then and I think if I just keep giving it to her, she will eventually get it. Even our doctor said it may be a little too early for it, but it wouldn't hurt to give it to her during her meals so she gets used to it. 

All this means, more stuff to pack in the diaper bag! But its all very exciting and new for the whole family. 

Love,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting