Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Telling the Family (MY SIDE)

Originally written February 8th

After getting the text message from Katie and texting with her awhile, I decided that I needed to call my Mom. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell my family in person like Mr. Hunt could since they live in South Carolina. I wasn't going to wait to tell them in person since this whole process was already going very fast.
Once I got the courage to tell my Mom, she was happy and sad, which was exactly what I thought she would be. Happy for Mr. Hunt and I and the growing of our lives, but sad we are going to be so far away. After talking with her for awhile, I told her that she could mention it to my Dad, but I would also call him the next day (Saturday) with details. I also told her not to tell my brothers, I wanted to tell them myself.
Well Saturday got by us too fast. We were at Michael and Rachel's house all day long, but Mr. Hunt was told that he would hear from someone about "the plan" sometime that day. I thought it would be good to call my Dad and brothers after knowing that "plan." Well, nobody ever called so I held off calling anyone.
Sunday was Super Bowl Sunday so while everyone else was eating appetizers, hanging out with friends and family, and relaxing on the couch, Mr. Hunt and I were stir crazy.
Michael and Rachel decided to spend all day with us again knowing that this would soon be rare. They hung out with us at home while we packed and got our lives back together as much as possible. Around lunch time, Mr. Hunt got the call with the plan. He was told he had to fly out to Texas the very next day (Monday). WHAT!??!!
So once we knew everything, the football game was already on. I was so anxious to call my family, but I didn't want to ruin the Super Bowl...so I waited.
During the game Mr. Hunt and I washed clothes and packed. It was a crazy mess in the house. Mr. Hunt wanted to make the best impression that he could.



Literally as soon as the game was over, I called them. Here I was in a predicament again. I couldn't decide whether to call my Dad or Davis first. I knew that my Dad knew I was moving since my Mom told him, and I knew that Davis had NO clue. So I thought that if I called my Dad first, Davis might hear us talking about it and find out, but if I called Davis first, my Dad might feel bad that I didn't tell him first. (Does anyone else go through things like this? Or do I just over think things too much?) So alas, I just called my Dad first and sure enough he left the room so Davis wouldn't hear. See? I didn't even have to worry? After talking to my Dad for awhile, he finally gave Davis the phone. He was the one I was a little more worried about telling. Davis is 10 years younger than me, but we are very close. We never fight and he loves both Mr. Hunt and I very much. Mr. Hunt knows and loves that he is such a good role model to Davis. Once I told him though, it wasn't so bad. He seemed very excited to be able to come to Texas to visit and was happy for Mr. Hunt's promotion. I was trying to tell if he was sad since I just wanted to burst into tears, but I couldn't tell. He did text me after I got off the phone to say that he would miss me. Yeah, that is one of those moments where I just melted. Other than me being a ball of mess, it went well. Davis is already planning to come for his spring break!
Then lastly, I had to call Dylan. Again, I didn't know what was going to happen. Once I told him he said "TEXAS?" Yeah, he was shocked, but after I told him all the details, he started to sound happy and excited. He even said he had to plan a road trip to Texas and was saying he couldn't wait to visit. Again, I was holding back the tears. What is wrong with me?
Most of you are probably reading this wondering why this was such a big deal? Why am I writing about how I told our family about this move? Its just Texas, no big deal. Well you are wrong. This is a HUGE deal. Like I mentioned before, we have never lived this far from home, our family means everything to us, we are very close to our family members, and their opinions and feeling mean everything to us. We don't want them to be sad. We want to reassure them that we are just a few states away and nothing but the distance will change. We promise this!
Another reason I am sharing this is so when I go back to read this (hence the blog and why I write it), I will remember all these emotions....good and bad.

So, we still haven't told Mr. Hunt's parents. I have a feeling this will be hard just like its been for the rest of the family, but this is our life. This is happening. Ill be back with the scoop!


XOXO,
Jen Hunt

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting