Monday, October 3, 2011

My Big Ricky

On Tuesday September 13th, the day Mr. Hunt and I were headed back from our honeymoon, my "Uncle Ricky" passed away.
He was my Dad's best friend in the whole world, that is why we called him "Uncle." We also called him Big Ricky, or Chuck (he had alot of nick names).
He was very involved in me and my brothers lives, especially Dylan's. He would go to ALL of Dylan's baseball games, even ones that were out of town. He was always over at our families house and was there since I was born. He even went to Eleuthera with my family for Thanksgiving one year.
He worked for my dad when he had his own company, and they truly were the best of friends.
His wife, Sharon was diagnosed with cancer recently and so he spent alot of time taking care of her. That, as well as me living further away, made it so I didn't get to see him very often in the past few years.
The last time I was home before the wedding, he came over to hang out for awhile and talk about the wedding. He got to meet Mr. Hunt and he told me that he and Sharon were very excited about the wedding.
They ended up not being able to make the wedding, as Sharon was not feeling very well.
I truly believe in my heart that God planned for Ricky to come over that day so that I could see him one last time. I will never forget talking to him in the garage that day. I only wish I could go back and give him a bigger hug.
My brother Dylan (and my dad of course) took the news the worst. I felt so bad that I couldn't be there for them as I had to hurry home and get back to work after being gone so long. I called home every day to get the updates. My mom and dad were by Sharon's side the whole time especially while she waited for family to get into town.
My mom spoke at the funeral for my dad and my family. I'm so glad she was able to talk about how he was such a big part of our family, but I'm so sad I missed it. When the funereal was over, each person walked to the water (the funeral was on the beach at Ricky's favorite fishing spot), and dropped a flower into the water and watched it wash away. When my mom told me that Davis had a very hard time throwing his, I almost cried.
On a lighter note, I know that I will see my Uncle Ricky again in heaven and I know that he is watching over my family.
Dylan put this picture of him above his bed and told me that he was happy that he had another guardian angel. Ricky loved fishing, especially shark fishing. Dylan learned a few good tricks from him and my dad.


Uncle Ricky,
I am so blessed to have you in my life. I cant even begin to go through all of the good times we had together. Thanks for being such a great friend to my dad, he loves you very much! You two were great together. Thank you are coaching Dylan to be the best baseball player that he became. It wouldn't have been the same without you. I love you very much. I miss you very much knowing that I wont see you for awhile, but I know it will be great when I see you one day in heaven. Please watch over us!
I love you,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting