Wednesday, October 12, 2011

My New Love

No I didn't replace Mr. Hunt, I would never do that, but I got one of these~
Yep, I got a sewing machine!! It was an early birthday gift from my MIL!
Here is the story. She saw on this ole' blog here that I wanted to sew. Also, Mr. Hunt, knowing that his mom had a sewing machine, called her to ask her if I could learn on hers before I bought one. She told him that it was too old and a part was broken (not a good one to learn on). So they both told me that we would go look at some sewing machines last Friday evening and go out to dinner. I was so excited, but Mr. Hunt still said no sewing machine was to be bought until I learned.
I was told to meet everyone (MIL, Boss Hunt, and Mr. Hunt) at the in-laws house and we were going to go eat first, then go shopping. To my surprise, when I got there, there it was! I was so excited!
That night, she taught me to basics like how to sew a straight line and how to thread it. It seemed pretty easy. She also left me with some pretty pointsetta fabric and some stuffing to make my first pillow.
I took my new treasure home with me and couldn't wait to get started. With life as busy as its been though, I didn't actually get to making the pillow until Monday evening.
First things first, thread the machine with the red thread. Easy, because I already did this once with the MIL. NOPE! I was wrong. I remembered all the steps, but for some reason, it was working. I was getting so frustrated. I would finally think I had it, and when I would push the pedal to start sewing, the thread would clump up into a big messy ball. That is not sewing! All I wanted was to sew this pillow.
After calming down, eating dinner, and starting over, I finally fixed it. The problem here is that I still have NO CLUE what I did wrong OR how I fixed it. So we will see next time I go to thread the machine again. Keep your fingers crossed.
I finally got to sewing the pillow and Mr. Hunt was right there cheering me on the whole time. I was so excited!
Without further adieu....


I think it looks pretty good for the first time ever sewing with a machine. Don't you think? Mr. Hunt used it right away while he was sitting at the kitchen table for a back rest and loved it.
Now, what else can I make you ask? Well, I haven't made anything else yet, but I do have a list of things that I want to attempt.
Wish me luck, and in the meantime, at least I'm having some fun!

Love,

Jennifer H

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm super jealous AND super excited for you! Once you learn how to sew, you must teach me! I want to sew so bad!!!

The Owino's said...

hey which kind did you get? do you like it?

Unknown said...

Kelly-Yes you have to come visit me. We can have a whole day/weekend of sewing. Im so excited!
Hayley-Chris' mom bought me a VERY simple Singer sewing machine. Im not sure which one off the top of my head. Once I get the hand of it, and if I actually make things on it for awhile, then I will get one like the one you mentioned that can do monograms and things. That sounds amazing!
Thanks ladies :)

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting