Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Sew: What have you been up to?

I know I know...pretty pathetic title....just deal with it.
So I have been going crazy with the sewing machine. I have so many ideas and thoughts in my head that sometimes I drive myself crazy. As I said before, I'm trying to tackle one room of the house at a time and October is the kitchen. Well, I went out of the kitchen this weekend, but I truly am trying to just write my ideas down so when that month comes around, I can do it then.
Anyway, so I have a little dilemma. There are no good fabric or craft stores near me! There is a Michael's about 15 minutes from my house, but I can only go there on the weekends because the traffic on weekdays to get there is a nightmare. The Michael's has most of my craft supplies, but not really fabric. They do have some fabric which I grabbed last time I was there, but nothing in huge amounts, and its pretty expensive.
The only fabric store that a few people have told me about it in Gastonia, which is probably 30 minutes away. I haven't made it there yet, but from what I hear, they have everything! Ikea also has fabric, but again, not too much to choose from. They have crazy patterns and there are even further away!
So my sewing options are pretty limited right now until I get my hands on some fabric. Want to know a little secret? Tomorrow is my 25th birthday. I'm taking off work so that I can go to the DMV to change my last name (finally) and I plan on going to the fabric store too! I'm super excited!
Here is a little peak at some projects that I did finish with and without the sewing machine.
The first was with the sewing machine.




I made these two bags for my pantry. We needed somewhere to keep all of our bread and chip clips. I originally had them in the kitchen drawer, but they were flying around everywhere and getting in the way and lost. So I made a bag. Now they hang nicely in the bag and everyone knows where they are. The second bag is for our MyCokeRewards items. Mr. Hunt and I save our coke bottle caps and box tops for the MyCokeRewards program. You enter in the codes online and you can buy things with your points. Again, I originally had them in a big plastic bag, but that was ugly and the plastic bag was getting old and worn looking. Now they stay in this pretty bag until we are ready to put the codes in online. I love the bags. They give a nice splash of color to the pantry. Note: Coming soon is the story behind the bins you see in the pantry picture. This girl is getting organized!
The next "craft" I did was in honor of fall. I want to start collecting different holiday items for our house because right now, we have nothing really. We have a few Christmas decorations and that's about it. The thing that bothers me most is only have one or two little items for a holiday because then the item just looks out of place in the house. I want to walk in my house and feel like whatever holiday or season it is. This can get expensive, so I decided to start making my own things and then each year, I can bring out my handmade holiday crafts. So I made these for fall and I love them. I think I will make more!




They started like this.

I got these little pumpkin, gourd, and squash at the dollar store, so $3 total. All I did was take some fabric scraps and cut them into little squares.

Then I hot glued them onto the object...and that's it! I love them. Mr. Hunt does too, he wants me to make him one for his desk at work. This made me smile. The best part is that they only cost $3, AND you can do this for any holiday really! What about little eggs for Easter. Yes, I'm going to do that!

Look how cute these two boys are.




River wanted to help Mr. Hunt build this....You will see what this is soon. Its not quite finished.
Last but not least, my biggest project so far. I made my first pair of curtains and I think they turned out amazing, especially for my first time. I sat down on Sunday while Mr. Hunt watched football and tackled these babies! I decided to do our master bedroom curtains first for a few reasons. Besides us being the only ones who live in the house, and we needed curtains, I decided that even if they didn't turn out perfect, it was OK that they were in our room. I want to make sure the ones that I do for the rest of the house are perfect, so the master bedroom curtains were the Guinea pigs.
Here is the before picture of our windows in our room (Oh how I miss my camera. These pictures are horrid! I am so embarrassed. But I promise once I get my new camera, I will take millions of pictures of my house and post them!)

And here is the after

See how the pictures turned pink? Not really sure how this happened, but it wasn't a one time thing. I tried to take this picture about 10 times and they all turned pink. It probably doesn't help that out of the three light bulbs on the fan, two burned out a few days ago, so there is only one light on. Here is a closer look so you can see the pattern.

I know I know....these aren't in the kitchen. I just HAD to do this. I have been waiting so long!
Sew, that's it! hehe! What do you think? Pretty good for my first few things huh?
I will update again on all the crafts I plan to do on my birthday day off tomorrow. As long as the DMV doesn't take all day!

Love Y'all!

Mrs. Hunt

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I love the pumpkins! Did you get that idea from Johnny in a Dress's Blog? She had a tutorial on how to make pumpkins like that. She also did an Easter Egg tutorial post last year...she called them Scrap Eggs...I plan on making them this Easter!

Unknown said...

Yes I did! I love Johnny in a Dress. Im not sure where I stumbled upon it, but I love it. Yay for crafts :)

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting