Thursday, August 5, 2010

Dead Weight

I know that dogs have extra sensitive noses and ears, but I think my Hannah might be a little different. During the day, she can hear the smallest noises and smell a bug from another room, but when she falls asleep, it becomes a different story. She doesn't do this every night, maybe once every few nights or so. Last night was the worst, so I have to share.

I woke up at 4am. I was about to fall off the bed. I looked down and saw River laying in his usual spot right next to me on the floor. Then I realized what was right next to me in the bed and I immediately let out a grown. It was Hannah, laying on her back with all four of her paws in the air, right in the middle of Mr. Hunt and I. Mr. Hunt was already practically in the middle of the bed.

I know what you are thinking, move Hannah and tell Mr. Hunt to scoot over. Well its not that easy. Not at all. When Hannah is asleep, especially on her back, she doesn't hear or feel anything. If I couldn't hear her snoring loudly, I would probably think she wasn't alive. I woke Mr. Hunt up and asked him to move over. Right at that moment, River thought he was missing out on something and jumped up on the bed (right onto me...remember, I'm on the edge of the bed). So I took this time to use the restroom, thinking that maybe the dogs would follow me like they usually do and then I could beat them to the bed on the way back. No such luck.

When I came back, I got River to move to the bottom of the bed so I could at least get in the bed. Now I knew I had to get serious because it was time to move Hannah. The worst part is that she lays on the top of the blankets so I cant get under them. There are a few steps that I take to try to move her:

1. I try to push her but she weighs 72lbs. Its not that easy. She is dead asleep so I am trying to move her and she is just dead weight.

2. I try to wake her up. I call her name, shake her, blow in her face, pat her, etc. Nothing works.

3. Lastly I huff and puff to see if Mr. Hunt will wake up to help me. He can move her better than I can.

River is nothing like this. I rarely have to wake him up. If he hears us moving at all, he will wake up. If I ever do have to wake him up, all I have to do is put my hand on him and he will be awake instantly.

It is so strange that she doesn't wake up after all of this. If you know Hannah, you know that she is the one who never wants to miss a thing. You would think after I call her name and shake her that she would wake up, but NO.

When this does happen, every night's outcome is a little different. Finally last night Mr. Hunt woke up again (mad this time) and covered her nose to see if she would wake up after not being able to breathe. Sure enough (I thought that was scary) she woke up, quickly moved down to the bottom of the bed, sneezed, laid down, and went straight back to sleep. I finally, after 30 minutes, had blankets and room to go back to sleep.

It is so strange when she does this. I remember the first time, Mr. Hunt thought she wasn't alive and woke me up in a panic. I put my head no her chest and she was still breathing, just not responding what so ever. Once again, she is a strange one.

Hannah has turned into a daddy's girl for sure. She loves to cuddle him now when she gets tired. When she was little, she didn't want to cuddle anyone and I thought she was going to be very independent. While she is still way more independent than River, she is cuddling us (Mr. Hunt more than me) now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting