Monday, April 9, 2012

Spring Break: Day 1 and 2

Since Davis came for his whole week of Spring Break, it was just like Spring Break for Mr. Hunt and I too.....except for the fact that Mr. Hunt still had to work a full week. But, he got to join Davis and I (and Michael and Rachel later in the week), in the evenings for some fun. (Yes, I know you aren't supposed to start a sentence with the word "but," but deal with it...its my blog).
We did SO much and had tons of fun and if I tried to share everything we did in one post, it would officially be the longest post in history. Maybe I should see if there is such thing in the Guinness Book of World Records and do it anyway. Nah.....Ill spare you.
So Spring Break Day 1 and 2 were good. We picked Davis up at the airport on Sunday around noon.


This was his first time ever on a plane (a big plane that is), and he flew by himself. He did great, and it made me rethink my crybaby-ness (not a word) that I had when I had to fly by myself about a month ago. I think my mom and I were more worried for him than he was. Once he got here, we headed straight downtown for a pizza lunch and to look around a bit, before heading back home to rest for awhile. Davis was tired since he had to wake up that day at 5am, so he took a small nap (so did I), and he loved on the fur babies. They were so excited to see him!
That night we decided to try a new restaurant. We live about 5 minutes from Lake Travis here in Austin, and there is a famous restaurant called The Oasis right on the water. We went pretty early just in case there was a long wait. The food was very yummy. They had everything including Mexican, Steaks, Sandwiches, etc. The view was the best part though.



This was the view from our table. Just breathtaking. It was great weather too, not too hot, not too cold.


It doesn't rain much here in Austin (or Texas for that matter), so the lake was VERY low. At some points on our drive there, we saw people's personal docks leading to no water. Hopefully it will fill up more this year since its been raining a little more than normal.


The low water doesn't stop people from going out on the boats though.


The Oasis is known for their view of the sunset. Its called "Sunset Capital of Texas." We didn't stay for the sunset, but it was just starting to go down when we left, and I could imagine how pretty it was going to be. We will have to go back to witness it though.


We sat out on the porch. These umbrellas and fans made for a perfect setting. The houses built into the side of the hills are perfect. One day, if I get rich, I want to have a house right there.


 
Look at that house! Matthew McConaughey just moved back to Austin on Lake Travis....I wonder if this is his house.
**UPDATE: No, its not his house, I looked it up and it doesn't look like this, maybe its another famous persons though, like Sandra Bullock??**



Right outside the restaurant was this sign of "The Texas Map" Looks like we live in "Heaven", but we are from "East Texas?" I got a kick to of this sign.


There were a bunch of other restaurants, stores, and little shops to look into. This was a neat spot.



We just got done watching the Star Wars trilogy (the old ones, movies 4,5 and 6) and I thought this thing looked like a Droid....so we sat in it.


People walking by laughed at us.


I love them!

That was day 1 (even though it was only a half day....now onto day 2!

Mr. Hunt had to work all week, so obviously Monday morning he was off to work. Being the boss is tough...someones gotta do it.
I decided that Davis and I should go back to Lake Travis and find somewhere to layout and swim. I looked up online a few places that we could do that. We got lunch to go at Panera Bread and drove to Windy Point on Lake Travis. It was a beautiful place to say the least. There wasn't any sand, just rocks, but it was fun! We overheard a scuba instructor say that the water used to cover all the rocks that we were laying on. It was crazy to think how far the water lowered.


The water was clear, but VERY COLD! I'm sure it will warm up once summer rolls around.



Again with the houses built into the hills. So great!



The last thing a 15 year old guy wants to do it sit in a chair and sunbathe, so we decided to take some risks and be dangerous.



First, Davis scaled the rocks to try to get to the bottom. I kept saying "watch your step," "Make sure you step on the rock first and make sure its secure." He was probably getting annoyed, but I was nervous. Once he made it half way down, I joined him. It was actually a lot of fun, I felt like a kid again.


We made it down the first time and that's when we learned that the water was too cold, so we went back to our stuff. Then we saw this older couple just jump right into the water, so we wanted to try again. This time we went straight down from our stuff. Again, Davis went first, then I followed.




Once we were both down there it must have taken us 30 minutes to actually get into the ICE cold water, but once we were in it was fun. Then Davis swam over to the ladder, and went back to our stuff. I relaxed on the dock for a bit.



Then swam back to the ladder.


We had a lot of fun at the Lake, I can't wait to take Mr. Hunt back one day.

That night was the College Basketball Championship game, so what better place to eat dinner than yummy wings. We took Davis to a place that is similar to Wild Wings called Pluckers. The wings were yummy, even though our waitress spilled about 7 wings on our table when delivering our food. We also read the menu wrong. We thought it said to eat 25 wings and get on the Wall of Fame. Mr. Hunt and I knew we could never eat that much alone, but Davis was sure he could. After 20 wings I asked the waitress just to confirm that he only had to eat 5 more, and that's when she told us that it was 25 of the Fire in the Hole wings (the spiciest ones). Oops! Well, Davis ate 25 anyway and he is in the Hall of Fame in our book.



Somehow we got on the topic of football players running the 40 yard dash and how quick they could run. Me, not being a very sportsy kinda person thought that running the 40 yard dash in 4.2 seconds wasn't that impressive and I immediately thought I could get close to that number. The boys laughed at me and challenged me.
So after dinner we were off to sneak onto the Cedar Park High School Football field. We would have measured it at home on the street, but we wanted to be official.


Sneaking on wasn't as dare-devil-ish as I imagined...we just walked right on the field.


Despite the pictures, it was pitch black outside.



My husband doesn't realize how athletic I am (or once was) and didn't think I could run the 40 yard dash faster than 8 seconds. Pshhhh....please! I bet that I would run it in at LEAST 7 seconds, maybe faster.


These pictures aren't the greatest, but Ill share anyway because I think they are funny. Here I am, ready to go. I was the first to run it.


I ran soooo fast, I made squiggly lines on the camera. Boo ya!


Whew, I was tired.
Next up, Davis.



Look at him GO!



He ran so fast on the second time that all I got was his nicely pointed foot.


Here comes Mr. Hunt!


The verdict.....all three of us ran it twice.

Me: 7.2 seconds
Davis: 6.2 seconds
Mr. Hunt: 6.4 seconds

Davis was the fastest. All three of us decided that we would probably run a whole second faster if we had shoes (we were running barefoot), had running clothes on (I was in jeans), and if we hadn't JUST ate a belly full of wings (we didn't want to barf). So, that means I ran it in 6.2 seconds which is definitely faster than Mr. Hunt thought I could do, so I was satisfied. Of course, the real reason we were there to begin with was to prove to me that 4.2 is VERY fast. I now agree. We also agreed the next day that Mr. Hunt and I are too old for this because we were both very sore for two days after this. Thankfully Davis got a little sore too a few days after. This made us feel a little better about ourselves. Nothing gets you down more than realizing you are old!


On our way out, I challenged the boys to jump over this hurdle.


I thought it would be challenging, but they laughed at me once again.


Not a great picture, but they both cleared it with tons of room to spare, so I shut my mouth.
No, I definitely didn't try to jump over that thing. We might have ended up our night in the hospital. Is it a known fact that men can jump higher than women?

That was the end of day 2. Lovely day it was!

Ill be back tomorrow with Day 3 and 4!

Love,
Jennifer Hunt

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting