Thursday, April 19, 2012

Free Art

Well, almost free....don't get too excited!

After completing the collage of frames on the entry wall


I had a ton of frames left over and one HUGE wall that was calling to me for another collage wall. So I did exactly what I did for the first wall and hung everything up on the huge wall. This time it didn't look as good. Some of the frames were empty and some were filled with pictures I didn't like anymore and the whole thing just wasn't "meshing" like the first collage did, so I had to change some things up.
The only problem is that I didn't have any paintings just lying around to switch out and I'm not an artist whatsoever so this was going to be a little harder than I thought. I had to come up with some cheap options.  First, I printed out some new pictures from the wedding that I liked and filled some empty frames. But I didn't want the whole collage to be personal pictures, so I had to think of some other options too, so off to Pinterest I went and found some good options.
Look what I made!


I made these out of paint chips from Home Depot (they were free duh!) and from the side you can see that they are popping off the paper a little bit, not just glued on. I love it!


I was so excited to make the first one that I didn't take any pictures, but don't worry, I was going to make two of them. So here we go. First, go to Home Depot or Lowes or wherever you get your paint chips and collect a bunch in the color you want. For this second one, I waned nice blue colors. You don't have to do all different colors, you can do all one if you want too.


Then I got a punch out thing (not sure the correct term for this thing) in the shape I wanted. So obviously I had to get a heart one for the first one and for this one, I wanted stars. I just don't trust myself to cut those shapes exactly the same each time, but if you feel like you can do that (or want a less uniform look), go right ahead.


Then punch as many shapes as you can, or need, or whatever and start to arrange them on your paper. You can do this on any surface too. I did it on paper because I wanted to put it in a frame when I was done , but the person on Pinterest did it on a plain canvas. This time I used gray paper. The heart one was easy because I just punched out the hearts in the order of the paint chips and laid them on the paper in that exact order so the picture is light red (or pink) to dark red from left to right. This time I wanted to do light to dark in a diagonal way so it was a little harder.
This one wasn't looking right....


So I moved some around....still not right.....


Finally I got it somewhat right. To be honest, I was frustrated by this time and I just kept it this way.


Once I had them the way I liked, it was time to adhere them to the paper. For the hearts I used these form dots to raise them off the paper a little, and I wanted to do them for the stars too.


But, the dots were a little bigger than the star! Ugh! So, I had to glue them down this time. No big deal. It will just be different than the heart one which is fine. I didn't want them to look like the were supposed to be the same anyway hence the different color paper, shapes, and design. So the Elmer's Xtreme glue came out. Please excuse the gray dots in the background, that's another project coming to you soon. I just couldn't get enough of the free paint chips....sorry Home Depot.


After gluing them all down and putting it in a frame, I had the final product.



I'm loving it. 

Next I will share the whole collage wall now that it is finally finished, along with the remaining "free" art that I put together. 


Love,
Artsy Gal

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting