Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Transient Synovitis

Have you ever heard of this? Yeah, I didn't either until Jane got it.

Two weeks ago I came down with a horrible cold (maybe even the flu, even though I did get the flu shot this year) and then it turned into a sinus infection. I wasn't feeling good at all, but luckily Mr. Hunt nor Jane got it. Thanking our lucky stars.

Just as I was getting better with my antibiotics, Jane started getting a stuffy nose. I was a week and a half later than my cold/flu so I think she may have got a cold from gym class. Plus all her symptoms were different than mine, and what do you know....I got the cold too. So basically I was sick for three weeks.

Anyway, after about three days of Jane having this cold, something terrible happened. All of the sudden, one night after bath, she started limping on her right leg. Mr. Hunt called me in and asked if she had fallen that he didn't see, but I couldn't recall. Plus, Jane falls all the time and just pops right up without ever crying (I'm sure a lot of toddlers do) so if she really hurt herself I'm sure we would have known. I squeezed on her leg and she didn't do anything or act like her was hurt, so we gave her Tylenol and put her to bed in hopes that it was just sore and with a good nights sleep, she would wake up fine.

NOPE, the next morning, I went in to get her and when I put her down, her legs just collapsed right from under her. Again, she didn't act like her was in pain, but she did look really confused as to why her legs weren't working. I totally freaked out and of course made a doctor appointment. Apparently the doctor didn't think this was an emergency because they couldn't get us in until 4pm. Let me tell you, that was a HARD day. Seeing my two year old who normally runs around the house all day everyday, have to sit all day, was miserable. Although she didn't sit all day. She was determined. I can't tell you how many times she got up to see if she could walk. When she realized she couldn't, she would walk on her knees, or crawl to where she wanted to go. It was tough for me too because Im trying not to carry her much since Im in my third trimester of pregnancy.

The good part was that she was in good spirits. She was her normal, happy, fun self....she just couldn't walk. Strangest thing.




So long story short, we get to the doctor and she seems very NOT concerned. She tells me that its Transient Synovitis and this is fairly common in toddlers. Basically her virus (the cold, but it could have been any virus) settled into her leg and hip joints making it so she couldn't walk. She said there wasn't much we could do but let it run its course so in the mean time, give her ibuprofen every 6 hours and just wait.

I was relieved it wasn't anything really serious. There were too many scary things that it could have been. Sure enough, we got home, I gave her ibuprofen, and within 15 minutes, she was walking. Slowly walking, but she was walking. I was happy! I guess the ibuprofen helped the swelling. So the next two days I kept giving her ibuprofen and we just laid low. By day three, she was back to her normal self.

Craziest thing ever. I learned that you never know whats going to happen.....truly. In an instant, something horrible could happen and your life could change forever. Live every day to the fullest.

Love,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting