Friday, February 22, 2013

We Did It!!

I say "we" because this transition was just as hard on me as it was Jane (if it even was hard for her....I'm thinking it wasn't).

As you know, Jane was sleeping in our room in the little rocker that we had. She LOVED that thing...and still does. I was worried that she hadn't slept flat on her back ever since the rocker has an incline, that I had a feeling the transition to the crib was going to be HORRIBLE. I know babies have a hard time adjusting either way, and the fact she doesn't like to be flat on her back made it worse.


We tried for a few naps to sleep in her crib and if she was REALLY tired, she would sleep in the crib, but only for about 30 minutes before she freaked out. Also, one night I tried to put her in the crib and after an hour of trying to get her to sleep, I put her in the rocker and she passed out immediately.

The main reason I wanted to transfer her to the crib besides the obvious of just trying to get her used to it, was that I was worried I was keeping Mr. Hunt up at night. Jane was waking up twice a night to eat and we did it all in the room. According to him, he wasn't bothered and didn't care, so I just kept her in the room.


Fast forward a few weeks, Jane now only wakes up once between 4-5am. She eats and then goes right back down, but she takes awhile to go to sleep. She doesn't cry and is very content by herself, but she has recently started to talk and blabber to herself. Right after I eat, I go in the living room to pump so I always let Mr. Hunt know that I'm not in the room. I do that because one time, I didn't tell him I was leaving, Jane started to cry, and he didn't do anything to help her because he thought I was in there and would take care of it. Anyway, she ends up keeping Mr. Hunt up now with her talking and by the time he gets back to sleep, his alarm is getting ready to go off to wake up.

So I knew it was finally time to just bite the bullet and get this girl into the crib. In anticipation of a very LONG night, I made sure I got alot of rest that day and I set up the blow up mattress in her room. No, its not a crazy idea. If you are a mommy, you understand. To be honest, it wasn't because I was worried about leaving her by herself, it was more of the fact that I knew she was going to be up a few times and didn't want to have to continue to get out of my bed and walk back and forth to the rooms.

To my surprise, the first night went alot better than I thought, but it was still a change from her normal routine int he rocker.

ROCKER:
9:30-10pm: Falls Asleep
4-5am: Wakes to eat
5:30am: back to sleep
8:30am: wakes up

1st NIGHT IN CRIB:
9:30pm: Put in crib
10:30pm: Falls asleep after having to put her paci in once for her
1:30am: wakes up crying
1:30-4am: wakes up on and off every 30 minutes or so just to have the paci put back in
4am: eats
5:30am: falls back to sleep
8:30am: wakes up

So as you can see, the beginning of the night was good until 1:30am. I never once had to pick her up out of the crib, but I did have to continue to put her paci in her mouth and rub her head which she loves. I call it paci poppin'. Normally, she can sleep without it, but she loves to have it to sooth her and with a change, I think she really just needed it.  Finally at 4am I fed her and dreaded going out to the living room to pump, but I put her back in the crib and went out to the living room. She started crying once where I had to go in and put the paci back in. Then when she started crying one more time, I was almost done pumping so I let her cry. She ended up falling to sleep on her own and I was very surprised. I went back to sleep and was shocked when she started crying again and I looked to see it was already 8:30am. So the second half of the night was great!



The second night I decided to sleep in my own room. When I was headed to bed, I started to get sad thinking about her in the room all by herself, but I was comforted with the monitor. I knew I just had to do it. I left the blow up mattress int here just in case I had to go in there and stay, the last thing I wanted to do was let Mr. Hunt listen to her scream on the monitor and keep him up that way

2nd NIGHT IN CRIB
9:30: put in the crib and falls right to sleep
3am: wakes up and cries for 5 minutes so I went in, put the paci in, rubbed her head and left
4am: wakes up to eat
5am: falls back to sleep after talking to herself....no crying
8:30am: wakes up

I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT! SHE DID IT! Besides the one time she got up at 3am, she had her regular schedule, in the crib, in the room, by herself. I am so proud. I guess the whole laying on her back thing wasn't as bad as I expected.

Now shes been in her crib for a week and a half and weve only had ONE bad night. The bad night was after her 2 month shots so I think her tummy hurt poor thing. Some nights she still gets up around 5 to eat, and other nights she doesnt wake up at all and sleeps from 10pm-8am. Our pediatrician was very surprised when I told her this, but she knows its from all the food that Jane eats during the day. She said we are lucky parent to have a good sleeper.

Love,
Jane's Proud Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting