Thursday, February 21, 2013

Uncle Dave is 16!!!


Yep, Its Uncle Dave's Birthday. My little "baby" brother is 16 and I cannot believe it. He is such a young man now. He is polite, fun, sweet, funny, lovable, and just an all around gentleman. Heck, he drives now! I cant help but think I helped to raise the kid. Just kidding Mom and Dad, I really give yall all the credit. I still look at yall and wonder how in the world we got the best parents who could somehow raise us to love one another and respect each other as much as we do. But enough about yall, its Davis' day.



As much as I'm so happy about his birthday today, I'm also a little sad. For the past few years, Ive always been there for his birthday, or at least there the weekend before. Mr. Hunt and I used to surprise him every year and show up in Bluffton. I think after a few years, he expected it and it was no longer a surprise. Last year was particularly sad to me, and he probably doesn't remember this, but I always will. 

Mr. Hunt and I were visiting Bluffton for the last time before we made the big move to Texas. I was already upset about leaving and living so far away. We had to leave on his actually birthday and I remember him coming into my room that morning to kiss me goodbye as he left for school. I woke up wanting to say bye one more time. (I know this sounds sappy, I would obviously see him again, but moving 20 hours away was a HUGE deal). I went and bought him miniature snickers and a gift card and went to his school. I stepped into the office and asked to speak to Davis. They found him and he came in. I gave him the snickers and the card, he said thanks, gave him a hug, and I left. As much as I wanted to take him with me or just spend more time, it was a little awkward with the people in the office looking at us. 

I walked out of the school and began to cry. I was saying bye to my baby brother and moving all the way to TEXAS. I had to say bye on his birthday. 


So when I woke up this morning, the first thing I thought of was him, despite the LONG night I had with Jane, I immediately smiled. As much as I wanted to just cry thinking and knowing I wouldn't see him today for the first time in a long time on his birthday, birthdays are supposed to be happy. So instead, I made a video of Jane "singing" Happy Birthday and talked to him a little bit through texts. 

Dear Uncle Dave,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Its your special day! I still remember the day you were born. I was in 5th grade and Dylan and I got to skip school that day. Grandpa took us to Walmart to eat McDonalds and then we were on our way to the hospital to meet you. Dad was dressed in hospital scrubs and he let us try on the feet things that go over his shoes. You were so little (like my little doll baby), and even though I wished you were a girl, once I saw you I fell in love. Another baby brother was OK in my book once I got to hold you for the first time. 
You are growing so super fast. I guess we all are, but watching you grow really makes me feel old. You are such a great person. Don't change. I'm excited to see you as an Uncle to Jane. She already loves you. I cant wait to see you next....whenever that might be. 
I LOVE YOU!!!

Love,

Your Big Sis

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting