Friday, June 1, 2012

We Went Camping

This past weekend ended up being pretty fun if I do say so myself. I was so super excited that Mr. Hunt had Monday off so we could have three whole days to do stuff.
Saturday, we didn't do anything....at all....but lay on the couch. Sometimes those are the good days right? Towards the end of the day I started feeling lazy and bad for sitting around all day long so I suggested to Mr. Hunt that we go to the pool for the first time being in this neighborhood. Ive been excited to get out in the sun for awhile now.
So Sunday morning, we slept in a little and put our bathing suits on. We headed over to Jersey Mike's to get our favorite subs (Tuna) and took a short trip to Best Buy to look at TVs. Yes, Mr. Hunt wants a newer, bigger TV. I'm still on the fence since the one we have is perfectly fine. Anyway, then we headed back to the pool. On our way there, I suggested maybe we should go look at the lake access right down the street from our house first to see if it would be a good place to lay by the lake in the future. It was. I was so jealous of everyone on their jet skis and boats, but we had fun sitting on the rocks and soaking in some sun for a little bit. Then we got to talking. The lake access was at a place called Sandy Creek Park which ended up being a campground and there were a lot of people camping. It looked so fun. Mr. Hunt and I have never been camping together and we registered for a lot of camping equipment for our wedding, but still haven't gone. While laying in the sun, we decided to camp that night. As we were leaving, we paid the $15 for overnight so that we HAD to come back and not make any excuses once we got home.
We made a list of things we needed, headed to Target to get all the supplies we didn't already have, tested out putting the tent up since Ive never done that before, and packed the car. We headed 5 minutes back down the street from our house and started our camping!
The rules were to keep the fur babies on a leash so we bought really long rope and tied them to the picnic table and a tree. At first they were confused because they have never been on a long rope. They kept getting tangled with each other and the table and getting frustrated. Then, we put the tent up. I'm happy to announce that we put that thing up so fast without an argument. Now that's awesome! By this time, we noticed there weren't any people around and we decided that we could let the dogs off the rope. We had two tennis balls to occupy River, and we just had to keep an eye on Hannah. They did so good off leash even when a few people walked by, they stayed with us.




This was our little spot. We had two picnic tables, a fire pit, and a little spot for the tent. It was great!


Mr. Hunt insisted on putting up the gamecock flag. We wondered what people thought when they came by. Its not like the gamecocks were playing any sport at the time. First, we played fetch for awhile with the fur babies. We wanted them to get tired before starting a fire.


Once they were tired out, Mr. Hunt sent me to look for sticks. I did a pretty good job. Mr. Hunt started the fire. I was nervous about the dogs. We have never had them near a fire before so I wasn't sure if they would know not to go by it. After all, the beginning of the trip, they were running right through the fire pit. Luckily, when they got close, they felt the heat and backed off.


Then we played a few games of UNO and ate some chips. Right when I wanted to take the picture, Mr. Hunt put down the draw 2 and thought that was hilarious.



Then it was time to cook. Mr. Hunt decided to use coals for the cooking so that we could use the pot without burning the bottom of it. We cooked some hot dogs and chili in the pot. Ive never done this before so I wasn't sure if the chili would turn out good, but it did.


Hannah LOVES being outside. She was in heaven.


She was also in heaven, hoping for some of the hot dog. I think they may have gotten some off Mr. Hunt's plate.



By the time we were done eating, the sun was going down fast! We decided to take a small walk just to look around the camp ground. The dogs were loving all the smells and sounds. When we got back, we put some more sticks on the fire and got ready to make S'mores. What is camping without S'mores?



I like to catch my marshmallow on fire and then blow it out. That way its burned and nice and gooey.


This picture cracks me up. Right before Mr. Hunt snapped the picture, we heard a very scary scream. Then he snapped the picture, this was the face I was making. I was also saying "What was that?" Mr. Hunt was scared too, you just can't see him. There was only one other couple a few spaces down from us, and its wasn't from them. It might be all the scary movies, and murder mystery's I watch, but I was spooked when it was dark.



Even the fur babies were roughing it. They got to eat their dinner from paper plates.


Finished product. YUM!


We played a few more rounds of UNO in the dark with a lantern and then headed into the tent. We played some music and just looked up at the stars. It took awhile for the dogs to realize what was happening since they have never been in a tent. We were in there for about an hour before we finally went to sleep. Ill admit, I didn't sleep very well, mostly because I kept playing all the murder mysteries in my head. I kept listening for someone to walk up to our tent. Silly I know, but you never can be too safe. It was pretty hot when we first got in the tent and we fell asleep with no blanket. By the middle of the night, the wind picked up and the temperature dropped to about 70, so we put a sheet on and we were comfortable.


The next morning there wasn't really any sleeping in. One, because it wasn't the most comfortable spot to sleep in, two, because it was getting more and more hot, and three, the dogs were getting restless. We got up at around 8:30am. I started packing up a little and Mr. Hunt got the fire going again. He was determined to make pancakes. I didn't get a picture because it didn't work. The pan wasn't hot enough and the pancake wasn't cooking. If we were staying another day and had time a patience, Im sure we could have got it to work. By this time, we were ready to head home, so we packed everything else up, and headed 5 minutes back home.

That was my first trip camping and I really did have fun. So many people have told me it isn't fun. To me, it was so much more fun then our normal everyday thing which is watch TV, be in the computer and hardly talk to each other. We got to spend a lot of time together, talk, play games, pay attention to the dogs, etc. It was just refreshing. I will definitely do that again, for sure!

Love,
Outdoorsy Person

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting