Monday, June 11, 2012

Oh Technology

As some of you may have seen, I ranted a little on Facebook a few days ago about technology, or more importantly, my iPhone. I was honestly in shock with how much I relied on that little thing.
Let me back up to try to explain why I was so shocked. Growing up, and even now, I'm not really the type of person who is really into technology. Anything technology related that I know, is from Mr. Hunt. I remember when Mr. Hunt and I decided to get a phone plan together, the first iPhone had just came out. I wasn't really interested in it at all. Mr. Hunt got the iPhone, and I got some other samsung phone. Of course after playing with his iPhone constantly, I wanted one, but I waited a year or two until the samsung died.
Even when I first got the iPhone, I only used it to text, call, take pictures, and play games. I had no clue or desire really to use the email, the Internet, or the GPS that it provided. I never used it or needed it on other phones, so why would I need it now? It wasn't until Mr. Hunt would show me how to use those things that I started to use them. He would see me printing or writing down directions somewhere, or see me get on the laptop to check email and ask why I wasn't using the iPhone.


Fast forward to today and I literally use the iPhone for EVERYTHING! Text, call, pictures, games, notes, reminders, calendar, planner, GPS, Internet, etc. It wasn't until my phone decided to die the other day that I sadly realized my life kinda revolves around this phone.
Mr. Hunt was out of town in Dallas for work and he asked if he could take the laptop. I hesitated since I knew I wouldn't be able to blog, but since I haven't had much to say lately, I let him take it. Oh yeah, Mr. Hunt and I lost our iPad in Puerto Rico, we think on the bus to the airport. We actually went to go buy another one a few days before he left, but realized the only time we ever used it was when we went out of town, which really wasn't much, so we decided to wait. So a few nights into Mr. Hunt being gone, I was laying in bed and realized the phone only had 10% battery left so I plugged it in. About 10 minutes later, my phone buzzed with a Facebook message and when I checked it, it said 7%. That was weird. So I unplugged it and plugged it back in. It made the noise that it does when you plug it in, but it would show that it was charging. I panicked. I called Mr. Hunt, but he didn't answer. I texted him that I only had 7% battery left and that my phone wasn't charging. If he couldn't get ahold of me, that was why. Then I turned the phone off so that I could use the 7% the next day to find an AT&T store since I had no clue where one was.
That night I was so scared. Again, probably from all the mystery murder shows and scary movies I watch, but I honestly didn't have any form of communication if something happened. We don't have a house phone, and Mr. Hunt had our only other laptop. I didn't get much sleep, and as soon as the sun came up, I checked my phone to find an AT&T store. Looked like there was one by the mall, so I quickly turned it off again and headed there.
I found it in the mall, but the guy told me that I had to go to the Apple store to see if they could fix it. I had been there before and had a general idea of how to get there, so I headed that way. But, I started out going the wrong way on the highway and didn't realize it until about 15 minutes of driving. Turning around and finding my way, I got lost about 5 more times. My phone didn't turn back on even though I turned it off at 5% so I had no way of looking at a map. Once I got there, it was 11:15am and of course they couldn't see me until 12:30pm. I headed to eat something for lunch and then realized that I had no clue what time it was. I don't normally wear a watch, I always use my phone, so I had to ask a few people a few times what time it was. Who does that these days? Also, eating lunch by yourself is already awkward, add not having a phone to call someone or distract you from being by yourself, and I was just staring off into space for an hour and a half.
Long story short, the Apple guy said that I had liquid damage on one of the four sensors (which I never recall my phone getting wet), and I had to buy a new phone. But from the time the phone "died" at 10pm that night before, until 2pm that afternoon when I got the new phone, I was seriously lost. No telling what time it was, no checking the Internet or Facebook, no directions, and no way of telling Mr. Hunt I was OK. I was honestly mad at myself and the world for letting technology get like this. I mean, I'm happy that I have these things and it does make life easier, but watch out if you are found without your technology. The world is going SO FAST! I feel like we need to slow down! I'm still a little annoyed that I let things get like that. Maybe we do need a land line, or just another laptop, but that's just giving in to the technology more. Mr. Hunt and I decided that once a week, most likely either Saturday or Sunday, we should not touch technology, or really just our phones or the laptop.
In the meantime, I try not to check my phone constantly and see if I can learn my way around Austin without looking at the phone every single time I go somewhere. If I get lost, Ill have the phone, but I need to learn my way around.

Love,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting