Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Trying to be Festive

This weekend was the first Christmas activity that I had planned for our family and it ended up being somewhat of a fail.

First of all, it is 30 degrees here....in TEXAS! Its warmer in South Carolina right now which is not usually the case. Not only is it 30, but its rainy, and its been like this the entire weekend which is why we had a holiday fail.

I haven't bought Jane any cold (frigid) weather clothes yet since its been 70 degrees still. She has some pants and long sleeve shirts and a few little light jackets and that's it. Also, I bought her some baby uggs but her feet are so fat that its hard to get her feet in the boot and then she can't walk in them, so socks it is for the cold weather. Light socks that is, she doesn't have any heavy thick socks.

So anyways, this past Saturday there was a tree lighting at the Domain which is a nice shopping center here in Austin. I mentioned it to Chris and knowing well that it was at 6pm (which is Jane's dinner time) we decided to go anyway. Mind you, it was about 30 degrees and misting all day. So I bundled Jane up as much as I could and we headed out.

It was pretty cold, I'm not going to lie. I started looking around at the other kids and they seemed a lot more bundled than Jane and then I started to feel like a bad mom. I'm sure nobody was looking at me wondering why she wasn't as bundled as their kids, but you know....its just the mom in me worrying.


Once we got to the tree it was about 5:45 so we had 15 minutes before the lighting of the tree (or so we thought).

I took Jane out of the stroller in order to wrap her up in the blanket that we brought. Both of our noses were bright red.


I know she was cold, but she sure didn't act like it. She wanted nothing to do with the hood on her head or the blanket wrapped around her so it was hard to keep her warm. She did love when her Daddy blew on her hands to keep them warm.


Once it was 6pm we were getting excited for the tree lighting when a choir group came out and started singing. We gave them the benefit of the doubt at first, but after more than 2 songs we were starting to wonder.

Jane was getting so antsy, we much have passed her back and forth 5 or 6 times. She was also hungry. We normally don't let her have her paci out of the car or crib, but I knew it would be a life saver for the hungry part.


Then once the choir left and another whole band was setting up, we had a family pow wow and decided we had to leave. The tree lighting wasn't at 6pm, that's just when the show started and we had no clue. If it weren't so cold and Jane's dinner time we would have definitely stuck it out. I love Christmas music and the atmosphere was great! So sadly, we left before the tree lighting and fireworks.

But, we did have fun still. It was fun to get out and do something as a family. I'm also more excited now for all the activities I have planned for the 25 days of Christmas.


I'm also glad we did this because I learn that I need to go buy Jane some warmer clothes. At least a big jacket, some gloves, some warmer shoes or socks, and a hat that will stay on. I don't want to cut any other holiday festivities short because we are too cold.

Although Mr. Hunt thinks that this 30 degree weather won't last long and he may be right. Looks like this weekend will be back in the 70s.

Talk to y'all later!
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting