Monday, November 4, 2013

Change is....different

First off, Jane is officially walking. Like all the time walking. She gets up to standing on her own and walks around, its all happened so fast, I just can't believe it. Mr. Hunt and I were wondering though, when do you officially say that your child is walking? Because we definitely couldn't bring her to the store and put her down to walk along side of us, so when is it?

Anyway, we've had a lot of change around here with Jane lately. She is turning into a little kid and it doesn't seem like she is a baby anymore. She's walking, she hardly lets us feed her puree foods anymore, she's not really interested in her bottle much, and now she is officially down to only one nap a day.


This came as a big surprise only because everything I've read says most likely your child wont be ready for one nap until after their first birthday around 14 months or so. Ive thought for awhile that she was slowly transitioning to that point, but I never thought this day would come so soon. For a long long time, Jane took two naps daily, both for about 2 hours or so. It was NICE! Then in the last few months, the morning nap kept getting shorter and shorter and the afternoon nap would either stay the same or sometimes get a little longer. This was still good because I could get myself ready for the day while she took the morning nap, even if it was just for an hour instead of two.

Then the last week or so, she's only wanted to take a 30 minute morning nap. She is also cutting her two top teeth so I thought maybe that was messing with her nap schedule, until this weekend happened. On Friday Jane took a 15 minute nap in the morning. I tried to leave her in the crib a little longer to see if she would fall back to sleep, but it never happened. When she wakes up from sleeping, she doesn't ever cry to get out, she likes to play in her crib. So I thought that if she wasn't crying, might as well leave her in there to see if she gets tired again, but she never did. Then I put her down for her afternoon nap and she slept her normal 2.5 hours.


I thought for a second that maybe she was moving onto one nap a day but after reaching a little more, I thought surly not since she is only 10 months old. Mind you, I do know that all babies are different. I hear it all the time. Jane has been pretty consistent, as most babies probably are with the average timeline of millstones though.

So then Saturday came. I decided to still put Jane down for her morning nap to see if maybe the 15 minute nap the previous day was just a fluke. Sure enough she fell asleep and slept for 2 hours! That was very surprising! Normally that morning nap had only been 30 minutes to an hour! Then I was for sure that the previous day was a fluke and that maybe it was her teeth that were keeping her from taking a good nap. Then I tried to put her down for her afternoon nap and she wouldn't go to sleep. I was in trouble. I left her in there for an entire hour and all she did was play and throw everything that was in her crib onto the floor. Finally she started fussing because she had been in there for so long so I went to get her. I was really worried because she woke up from her morning nap at noon and now she was going to be up until bed time. I thought surely we were going to have a rough evening.

The evening went well....surprisingly. I guess she had enough sleep during her morning nap that she was fine until bed, but at bed time she was SO tired! Then I was convinced this was it. She was ready for only one nap. Believe me, I didn't rush this. If it were up to me, I would keep the two naps for as long as possible.


So Sunday and today (Monday) were the first two days of the official one nap schedule and its going GREAT! I can tell she is extra tired when her one nap comes around, but I think it will become better as she gets older. She has been waking up once a night crying though. I think being overtired might be it or even the teeth, I'm not sure, but again, I think she will grow out of that as well. All I know is that I would hate to put her down for her morning nap in hopes she would sleep and something like what happened on Saturday keeps happening. One nap it is.


One good thing about one nap is that we can finally go out and do things without being out for one nap every time. We can go out in the morning and come home right in time for her one nap.

Oh, let me remind you that the first day of this one nap schedule just so happened to also fall on daylight savings. I'm still not convinced if that helped or not. Ill let you know later. But, that would happen us! haha!

So here we are with a walking one nap kid. Where is the time going!?

Love,
Jen





No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting