Friday, September 7, 2012

22 Week Appointment

Last Tuesday, I went to my 22 week update appointment. The only thing they do at these small appointments are take my weight, my heart rate, check something when I pee in a cup, measure my belly, and check Jane's heartbeat. That's it. It takes no time at all really.
From my last appointment at 18 weeks, I accumulated alot of small questions. The past appointments, I never really had any questions, maybe one, but this time I had at least 6 from a few new symptoms, to questions about the future and Jane.  I wrote them down in my phone so that I could remember when I got there.
Right when my doctor came in, I started asking her my first question, when her beeper went off. She told me that it was labor and delivery and that she had to step out for a second. I could hear her talking to a nurse about a patient who must have been in labor. I didn't catch the whole conversation, but I did hear her say "OK, give me a few minutes and Ill be over there." Oh, the office is attached to the hospital that I will deliver in, so my doctor runs back and forth when she has someone in labor. Anyway, I knew I was still on my first question, and I had a feeling she was going to rush me.....and she did. I was really disappointed. I kept thinking about how if I were the one in labor, I would definitely want her to hurry over to me if I needed her, but I was just let down. I honestly was so distracted by her short and rushed answers for everything that I don't even remember half her answers.
Don't get me wrong, I love my doctor. Ive really liked her from the beginning, but this time she really just hurt my feelings. Here I am, growing a human being for the FIRST time, a little baby girl that means more than the world to me. I have alot of questions. I look forward to each appointment(every 4 weeks right now, which goes by so slow as it is) so that I can be reassured each time that she is doing well and that everything looks great. I understand that this isn't as special to my doctor as it is to me, it never will be, and I don't expect that. But I do expect a little more attention I guess. So, the rest of the day, I was a little bummed out.
Although I was bummed, I was also happy that Jane was doing well. In the rush of everything, my doctor measured my belly, but never told me how many cm I was. I did gain some weight. I'm not sure how much Ive gained since last appointment at 18 weeks, but Ive gained 12 pounds in total from the beginning, and she said that was right on track. Also, Jane's heartbeat was in the 140s and she said that was good too. Her little heartbeat was on the right side of my belly and that's where Ive felt alot of her kicks and punches, so I think shes hanging out over there.
Now I wait another 4 weeks to get another short update at the end of September. This will be 26 weeks. I really cant wait for this baby to be here. I cant wait until 36 weeks where I get to go once a week and everything will start to move faster. I don't want to rush time though. I know that I will miss her being with me all the time once she is out, and I also by no means have everything ready for her yet, but I cant wait to hold her and kiss her.


Love,
Mommy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your doctor should have told you she would call you personally to make sure that she answered all your questions. However, I definately understand that her priority was the woman in labor and not you.

Unknown said...

Yeah. Ive thought of a few things she should have probably done to make my experience a little better. Hopefully it wont happen again because I really do like her :)

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting