Thursday, October 28, 2010

My many recent run-ins with the law

I kind of feel somewhat like a criminal who is trying to run away. I swear I'm not a bad girl. I made a small mistake and now I feel like the police are out to catch me and only me.
When I moved from South Carolina to North Carolina, Mr. Hunt warned me that I needed to get my car inspected. We did no such thing down in SC.
"OK," I said, "no big deal." Well I as wrong. Its a big deal. Apparently, in order to get your registration renewed, your car has to pass an inspection. The tricky part though, is that YOU have to remember yourself when it expires! Man, just another thing for me to remember.
So, about two weeks ago, I was in the bank drive through and there was a police man behind me in line. He wasn't making a deposit or doing anything at the bank like I thought, he was looking up my registration and tags on my license plate. As soon as I pulled out of the line he put his lights on and pulled me over. What could I have done wrong?
He informed me that my registration was expired and that I needed to get my car inspected. I proceeded to tell him that I was sorry, but I never got a notice in the mail that it was soon to be expired. I went on and on about how we just moved into a new house and everything. He looked at me funny and said, "Well that's a part of being an adult, maybe you should write it on your calendar." Wow! How rude! At this point, the angry Jennifer came out. I proceeded to tell him how I was from SC and we never had to do this. If our registration was about to expire, we got a notice. So long story short, he wasted my whole lunch break and I got a citation. He told me that I needed to get my car inspected by November 21 and go to court and prove it. OK, lesson learned. He did let me go for not having a NC license yet. I need to change that ASAP and so does Mr. Hunt before we both get in trouble. Why do they make it so hard to do? People work you know. The DMV closes at 4pm. How can anyone ever go besides weekends? The weekends will take all day because they are so busy. We just need to do it!
Then, a week later, I was driving to work running late as usual. I might have been going a little faster than normal. I was going 75 in a 65. Not that bad huh? I was about to get off my exit and I get pulled over again. I was so angry because I was already running late. The police came to my window and asked me if I knew how fast I was going. I said "Yeah 75." Then he asked if I knew the speed limit. I said "Yeah 65." Then he said, "Well it was 65, but it just changed to 60." WHAT!?!? They must really be trying to make money or something. You are going to wait for the speed to change down and pull me over right away? I wasn't even past the sign when he turned his lights on.
When he came back to the car he said I wasn't going to get a ticket for speeding because it had just changed, but I was going to get a citation for not having my car inspected. After I told him that I already got one, he looked at it and looked at me and got all angry at me. "Why didn't you tell me this. You could have saved me alot of time." Yeah? Well you could have saved me alot of time too, and not pulled me over. So he told me to go to the regular court date, and give them both citations and as long as my car is passed, they will drop the charges.
Then, just yesterday, I was driving to work again. This time I had my cruise control on so I wasn't speeding. All of the sudden, someone is tailing me. I look up to see that it is a state trooper. I tried to move over in different lanes, but he kept following very close behind me so I knew he was going to pull me over. Sure enough, after about 5 minutes of him behind me, he turned his lights on. This time I was ready to yell at him. When he came up to my window, I didn't even say anything and just handed him the two citations that I already had. He said "You have already been pulled over for this?" and I said "Yea, twice." He looked them over, handed them back to me, and said "have a nice day." Man, that was a waste of my time.
The reason I am so angry over this is because the original police gave me a month to do this. I shouldn't be getting pulled over every week in between. They should be able to pull up my license number and see that I already have two citations.

Go pick on someone else!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I'm sorry about all your bad luck with the police. Brad wouldn't have given you a ticket if he pulled you over! haha

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting