Thursday, July 24, 2014

This Song

I really like music. I listen to it a lot. There have been many songs in my day that I can relate too, but this song in particular has hit me hard and its easily my most favorite song of all time. Unlike most songs, this song will never get old and will always remind me of a time in my life, and I wanted to share the lyrics with you can explain why this means so much to me. 

Most of you might already know the song because its pretty popular in country music right now. 

Its Tim McGraw's Meanwhile Back at Momma's

Runnin round in this new truck
Bank lets me borrow from month to month
I'm runnin out of credit, find a little Cash on the radio
Standin still they're blowin past, numbers on cars goin NASCAR fast
What I wouldn't give for a slow down, don't ya know?
Cause where I come from, only the horses run
When the day is done, we take it easy


Basically, if you've been reading my blog for awhile you know we just moved back from Austin Texas. We were there for 2 years for Mr. Hunt's job. It was a wonderful time and I don't regret going at all, but I was home sick the ENTIRE time. Especially after we had Jane, I couldn't wait to move back closer to home or "Momma"

This verse reminds me of being in Austin (which is a big city) where everyone is moving so fast....you know, the city life. I would often wish I was sitting on a dock on the May River in Bluffton (which is where my parents live), where its quiet, slow, and calm. Everyone still goes to work and does their business, but when the day is done, everyone goes home, relaxes on their porch or with family. I know not everyone does this in Bluffton, but its what I picture and its what my family does.

This is the chorus:

Meanwhile back at Mama's
The porch light's on, come on in if you wanna
Supper's on the stove and beer's in the fridge
Red sun sinkin' out low on the ridge
Games on the tube and Daddy smokes cigarettes
Whiskey keeps his whistle wet
Funny the things you thought you'd never miss
In a world gone crazy as this


This is pretty much exactly how it goes at my parents house. My parents always have the front door unlocked and the lights on when they are home (hopefully you don't know where they live and won't rob them..haha). My Mom is ALWAYS cooking something good and beer is ALWAYS in the fridge (the fridge in the garage to be exact). If there is any sort of game (especially football) it will be on the tube and my Dad does smoke cigarettes as well. Whiskey doesn't keep his whistle wet unless its a special occasion, but beer keeps his whistle wet.

Then this last sentence in the chorus gets me every single time. Funny the things you thought you'd never miss In a world gone crazy as this When we moved to Austin, we were so excited for something new. Once I started to get homesick, it was the little things that always made me miss home. Like the beer in the fridge and Momma's cooking. All things that I wouldn't have told you I was going to miss when we first moved.

Well I found a girl and we don't fit in here
Talk about how hard it is to breathe here
Even with the windows down can't catch a southern breeze here
One of these days gonna pack it up and leave here


It was hard to fit in in Austin. The famous saying "Keep Austin Weird" is not a joke. There are some weird people there. Being born and raised in Hilton Head and SC in general, people were very different. Sure, I could have changed myself to fit in and it really wasn't a big deal, but it was always like I was in a foreign place when we would go somewhere where there were a lot of people. People watching went to another level. Plus, being back in SC you just feel like HOME and you fit there.

Definitely can't catch a southern breeze in Austin. Yes, Austin is technically south of SC, but no southern breezes were in Austin....actually no breezes were in Austin. It was so freaking HOT!
One of these days gonna pack it up and leave here This is something Mr. Hunt and I said to each other very very often while in Austin.

Oh I miss yeah a little dirt on the road, I miss corn growin in a row
I miss being somebody everybody knows, there everybody knows everybody
I miss those small town routes, walkin around in muddy boots
The sound of rain on an old tin roof
It's time we head on back


Obviously this is just everything (all the small things) you tend to miss when you are gone. Funny, because in Hilton Head people always say its so small that everybody knows everybody. Its true when you live there. I of course, have no clue who people are anymore because Ive been gone for 10 years. It's time we head on back This is when the tears always come during the song. Every. Single. Time. Maybe I'm a baby, but this song does it to me every time.

That's basically all the lyrics. Like I said, I don't want you to feel like I hated Austin. Austin was wonderful. It was different in a good way. I learned a lot. I became closer to God there. Jane was born there. The distance made me cherish the times with family more. I made some good friends there.  I ate lots of good food there. and many many more.

The very first time I heard this song, we were still in Austin and trying to get back. We were in the process of trying to find Mr. Hunt a good job somewhere, ANYWHERE closer to home, so the song always made me miss home more and I could relate well. Now that we are back, every time I hear it, I say a little prayer thanking God for getting us back. Tears of joy always fill my eyes and Mr. Hunt always looks at me weird.

It might seem crazy that a stupid song relates to me so well, but just to prove that this song describes my family to a T is that my little brother Dylan (who is getting married soon) is thinking about dancing to this song with my Mom for their Mother/Son dance. Lord help me if they do. Ill already be crying seeing them dancing, add that song, and I may have to excuse myself.

So, do you have a song like this? One that you can relate to word for word? Thanks Tim McGraw for making a song about my life....I couldn't have done it better.

Love
Jennifer




No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting