Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Sleep Regression

Is there such thing as 14 month sleep regression? If so, we are in the middle of it, and it is BAD. Worse than any other time since she was born.

It all started about a week ago when Jane randomly woke up in the middle of the night. She still wakes up every so often to have her paci back in but normally she goes right back to sleep as soon as the paci hits her lips. The paci is magic!

That night was different though. Mr. Hunt went in to give her the paci back and she immediately start screaming crying before he even left the room. Normally my rule to myself is never to pick her up out of the crib because I don't want her to associate her crying and me going in to get her out of the crib. My other rule is not to speak a word or make eye contact. I know it sounds cruel, but its worked so far.




As she was crying the magic of the paci wasn't working and he eventually picked her up to try to rock her back to sleep. I was laying in bed watching the monitor. About 10 minutes went by which is a lot longer than its ever taken to get her back to sleep (except for one time) and I saw him try to lay her back in the crib. As he was lowering her down she started crying again, so he came in to ask if I would give it a try.

I went in a got her back out (against the rule) and tried to rock her to sleep but she was WIDE awake. Her big eyes were just looking all around the room but she was quietly sucking on her paci as content as could be. I was frustrated that she was wide awake but I was trying to enjoy rocking her. Of course a million things we running through my head, "Is she sick" "is she teething" "is she hot" "is she hungry" So finally after 30 minutes of rocking her, I woke Mr. Hunt up to grab the baby Tylenol while I changed her into some lighter pjs and checked her temp. No fever, new jammies, and some Tylenol didn't do the trick either.

After another 30 minutes of rocking I decided that maybe she was uncomfortable in the chair with me. After all she is getting so long and we don't fit as well as we used to. Of course she started crying even before I laid her down, but I told her everything was going to be OK and I walked out hoping she would end up falling asleep on her own. Plus I had to use the restroom! haha!

I know that a cry it out method has worked for many moms, but its just not for me. I only let Jane cry for 10 minutes before I go back in. So, of course 10 minutes went by and I had to go back in. This time I stuck to my "no picking her up" rule and I just stood there by her crib with my hand rubbing her belly and head. She finally settled down and 30 minutes later she fell asleep. So, 2 hours later I went back to sleep.

This has been happening every single night since. Some nights worse than others. On an average though, she is waking up twice a night and is awake for at least 30 minutes at a time.

Last night I couldn't even get her to go to sleep initially. Her bed time is 8pm and she is usually asleep within 5 minutes. Last night, she didn't fall asleep until 9:45pm. I was in and out of her room the entire time. She was wide awake just playing in her crib, but as soon as I would start to leave the room she would scream like her life was over.


I'm really really hoping this is just a sleep regression thing. I'm trying really hard to teach her that I'm not going to pick her up and that its time to be sleeping, but its also so sad to see her so upset.

I'm starting to think she is finally showing separation anxiety. She definitely doesn't experience this when we are out and about. She could care less if Mr. Hunt or I leave her anywhere. Maybe she is having nighttime separation anxiety. Is there such thing? Has anyone ever gone through this? What did you do?

Love,
Jennifer


3 comments:

Carol said...

Is she cutting teeth? Kennedy hasn't been sleeping as well lately but she is cutting five teeth at once right now so we are pretty sure she's waking up because she's in pain. Luckily though she has soothed herself back to sleep but she wakes up once or twice a night usually and fusses.

chrissydoucet said...

Avelyn has been doing this lately as well. It's like once they get used to waking up at this time they do it every night. I put a sippy cup with water in her crib and she drinks that and outs herself back to sleep now. We also don't do the cry it out. My max is like 2 mins haha!

Unknown said...

I don't see any teeth but I know that doesn't mean she isn't cutting any teeth. Ive tried putting her baby doll and a few stuffed animals in her crib to see if she would play or something, but no. Maybe Ill try the sippy cup. I just don't understand how she can be wide awake. And yes, I know exactly what you mean Chrissy, she seems to wake up at the same time every night. Oh, who would have known I would have so many questions and thoughts about being a mom

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting