Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Cabinet Rummaging

When we moved into this house in downtown Austin when Jane was 3 months old, I knew right away that this wasn't a "kid/baby friendly" house. One of the main things is this pantry that is very low to the ground. As well as no where else to plug in our Internet which leaves a bunch of cords that you can see in the picture below. I brushed all of this aside because we really really wanted to live downtown and we knew it was just for a short time since this isn't a permanent situation. Our next (more permanent) house I will be more picky about a baby proof house.

Anyway, I know what you are thinking....where are the cabinet locks? Well, I have decided not to get any at this rental home. I refuse to use the ones that are on the outside of the cabinet. No offense to those who have them, but the kitchen is already pretty ugly and the last thing I need is to add hideous cabinet locks. I actually wouldn't mind them in the bathroom where I can shut the door and not see them, but just not in the kitchen. The cabinet locks that I have found for the inside of the cabinets all require you to drill a hole which I'm not going to do at this rental house. I don't want to pay for that on these already ugly cabinets. Also, the cabinets are so old that most inside cabinet locks that Ive looked into don't even fit. 

Moving on....I keep a very good eye on Jane as it is so once she started to get into the cabinets I had to do a little switching around of what was in the cabinets. Most of the cabinets are OK for her to get into now. Besides it being very annoying to clean up, she can get into the Tupperware and pots and pans. But the kitchen is already small so there wasn't a lot of room to switch things around so the cleaning supplies are still in her reach....not good...and so are the baking goods in this low down pantry. 

So, one day, I heard her rummaging through something in that cabinet. I was actually sitting right next to her but my back was to her. I knew there wasn't anything bad for her to get into in there so I wasn't paying that much attention. Finally I was wondering why she was so quiet and I turned around to see this....


Mini chocolate chips....and she was LOVING them. I just laughed and got out the camera. The whole time, even while I was cleaning them up, she was trying to stuff as many as she could in her face. This was her first chocolate experience and if she is anything like me, it won't be the last. 

Later in the day I was tickling her and found this.


 Chocolate must have got down her shirt as well and melted! haha!

So I brushed it off and vowed to pay more attention, after all there wasn't much I could do besides putting everything on the counter instead and that would drive me crazy. I like clean uncluttered counters.

A few weeks later, it happened again. This time it was pecans and she wasn't so much of a fan. The chocolate was definitely better in her book....mine too!


Its happened a few times since, but as long as there isn't anything dangerous in there, the only bad thing is that I'm losing some food and cleaning it up is annoying.

Kids will be kids right?

Love,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting