Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Dog Baths

Mr. Hunt and I (and the vet) are trying to figure out what (if anything) River is allergic to. He is constantly scratching and biting all over his body. His skin has scabs and is turning black in some areas. I feel so bad for him.

I took him to the vet a few months ago and the vet was going to put him on special food to see what he was allergic to. Right when he was finishing up, one of his assistants saw a flea on him. That changed the vets mind immediately. He told me that River must be allergic to fleas. I treated the fleas and he was still itchy. I have gave him three different flea medications, but the skin isn't better. I don't think he is allergic to fleas because I never see any on him and he is still so itchy.

Then this past weekend after he was playing in the mud, I thought to myself that maybe he is just having a skin irritation because he is dirty. Mr. Hunt and I don't ever give them baths. Maybe once or twice every three or four months. For labs, you aren't supposed to wash them too much or they will loose the oil in their fur and I guess that is bad.
Anyway so I got this wonderful idea that Mr. Hunt and I needed to wash the dogs. This is actually pretty hard to do. We tie them up somewhere (this time to the grill), rinse them down, scrub them with soap, and rinse them off. Sounds easy huh? No it isn't. The move around, sit down when you are trying to clean their bum, shake every few minutes, etc. Then it takes forever to dry them (since they have seven layers of fur). Last night we took them on a long walk so they could dry off. Now they smell and look pretty, but River is still itching. I woke up in the middle of the night because he was itching so much. The itching noise was in my dream as something else, then when I woke up I realized it was him. Poor thing cant even sleep through the night. I can just picture him in his crate all day with nothing to do. I bet he scratches himself ALL DAY!

I guess I need to take him back to the vet again. UGH!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting