Wednesday, May 12, 2010

NASCAR

Yesterday I worked at the NASCAR Hall of Fame Grand Opening. Man did I see alot of different people.

My job was to show people where to get their tickets. They either needed to stand in the membership line, or the regular line. Some people got very confused. I found out that I may not be as "country" as I thought I was. Some of the people I swear were speaking a different language. They were speaking country. I couldn't understand them that well, and they couldn't understand me. I think one guy spit dip on me while he was talking to me. GROSS!!

One of my co-workers was working the VIP section which I originally signed up for. She didn't have to deal with the fans. She sat the VIP people that seemed to me they may have never seen a NASCAR race in their life. Some of the VIPs were people that helped build the building, the mayors from surrounding cities and towns, hospitality managers, etc.

The ceremony was pretty cool. Richard Petty drove up in his car (one of his old ones I think). All of the fans were going crazy as he reved his engine up. I could see him or the car because people were standing in their chairs. I saw the car drive away though, it was pretty neat.

Towards the end of the ceremony, it started to rain. We put on our ponchos because we still had to do some work after people went inside. As I was walking over to get under some shelter for a bit while people were filling in, a man with a black cowboy hat brushed by me and said "Excuse me my darlin'" I just moved out of the way. Another person came up to me and said, "You do know that was Richard Petty that touched you?" Nope I didn't, but now I do. I wish I would have known it was him at the time, it would have been so much cooler.


This Friday I am working another event. The National Rifle Association is coming to Charlotte. Almost 37,000 people will be attending. I am instructed to stand outside the convention center and tell people where to go. I am also supposed to call 911 if I see a list of things

  • Someone who is not a cop with a gun hidden on them



  • Someone who is not a cop with a gun in plain view in a holster



  • Someone who is not a cop carrying a gun



  • Protesters



  • If I see homeless people bothering others



  • Anything fishy

The cop that talked to us said that it is better to call so that they can check up on things than to let it go. Apparently homeless people are allowed to beg for change. Just not at night or in a certain proximity to a bank. Weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting