Thursday, June 25, 2015

Jane's BIG GIRL BED!

 Jane is now in a big girl bed, and she's been in one for about a month now. So I think its safe to say that the transition has gone WAY better than I thought. It has gone so well, that I thought for sure in the beginning that it was just beginners luck and everything was going to go wrong any minute.

So, Jane just turned 2.5 years old, so we had her in her crib for a long time. I always told myself that I wasn't going to kick her out of it, I would wait until she was "ready." She LOVED her crib. She never argued when it was time to nap or go to bed. Most of the time, she even would sit in her crib and play before she fell asleep, and every time she woke up, she would just play until I came to get her. Most times I would look at the monitor and wonder how long she had been awake in there because she never cried. So, I really didn't want to mess up a good thing, she was a great sleeper and loved her crib.

With Jackson's arrival I was getting anxious that she still wasn't showing any signs of wanting to transition to be bigger bed. Poor girl is so long for her age that she really was kind of squished looking her crib, not including ALL the stuffed animals she insisted on having in there. I worried that since she really didn't ever see anyone else her age in a big girl bed, that she really didn't know the difference, she just thought the crib was where she slept.

So out of the blue one day, Jane decided she wanted to climb into the crib on her own at nap time, so I let her. I then realized that that probably wasn't the best idea because if I wasn't right there she may have not made it and hurt herself. About a week went by with her wanting to do this until she realized that she could also climb out. This is when I really started to tell her and talk about a big girl bed. Luckily she only climbed out of the crib twice before we had the new big girl bed (we had already ordered it...just in time).

While I was excited that we would finally have a crib for Jackson, I was a little nervous about Jane being in a big girl bed. I was nervous that her whole schedule and great sleep would go out the door, and with a newborn, I wasn't ready for that. I was also a little sad because my little girl was officially growing up.

Long story short, she has done GREAT! I could have asked for a better transition. She hasn't ONCE come out of her room. We  made a rule that she couldn't get out of bed until I came to get her. It worked for about the first week. I think she didn't really understand what was happening or that she could actually get out. She wanted all her stuffed animals in the bed with her and was worried when I put her water and pacis on the nightstand. We got her a full size bed, so the stuffed animals weren't much of a problem anymore.


After about a week of her staying in her bed just like I asked, she slowly learned that she could get out of bed. We would be sure to tell her to get back in bed through the video monitor and she would, but then I decided to let her get out as long as she didn't come out of her room. 


There have been a few rough naps where she would just play the entire time, but at least she is having quiet time and resting. Like I said, she hasn't come out of the room yet and bedtime is perfect, so I can't complain.

I really think the trick was waiting until she was 100% ready. We waited until the last possible minute to transition her. We also made a HUGE deal about it, talking about it for weeks before, and letting her help pick out the mattress, and bedding. When the time came, she was all about it. I also think since she was a little older, she really understood what was going on and also could listen and follow my directions of not getting out of bed.

Lastly, we left the crib in her room for about a week. When it was time to take a nap or go to bed, I always gave her the option. "Do you want to sleep in your big girl bed? Or your crib?" She always picked the big girl bed, but at least it wasn't a crazy change all of the sudden, and her knowing she had a choice maybe helped.

Then when it was time to move the crib to Jackson's room. We asked  her if he could have it and we let her help move it to his room. I know sometimes, the older child could feel attached and get made when they have to give the crib to the younger sibling.

How was your toddler's transition? Like I said, I was pleasantly surprised, but I know its not always that easy.

Love,
Jennifer

1 comment:

Carol said...

Love her big girl bed! Kennedy had an easy transition too, we did it about a month after she turned two. However, she's in a toddler bed not a full size bed. If only potty training was as easy...ugh!

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting