Friday, June 6, 2014

Reality

The reality of going out to eat at a sit down restaurant these days is that its pretty much a toss up if Jane will behave and make it through or not.

Example: Last Night.

With all the unpacking going on, I have tried my hardest to get dinners ready for everyone when Mr. Hunt gets home, but yesterday it didn't happen. I took out the frozen gumbo my Mom made us in the morning, but it wasnt thawed out enough by the time dinner rolled around and I didn't feel like tending to it.

I felt like getting out of the house anyway, so I shot Mr. Hunt and text message that we should go out to eat and try out a new restaurant in our neighborhood.

Anyway, long story short, we got to the restaurant and within 10 minutes, Jane was DONE. She wanted nothing to do with the highchair. Usually, as long as there is food, she will sit there, but not yesterday. I brought out ALL the food I had, and it wasnt working. Then I quickly remembered that she didn't have a great nap that day and she had a little cough so Im not sure if she felt great.

I tried to eat some of my food with her on my lap, which isn't ideal, but if it prevented her from crying and whining I was willing, but that didn't last long because she wanted to get down and run around. SO, once we started getting "the look" from people at tables next to us, Mr. Hunt took her outside while I got the rest of the food to go.

The reality is that you never really know what toddlers are going to do. They don't know better. They just want to play. They don't know they're supposed to sit still and the table. Until she can understand me 100% that there is no choice but to sit still, we will go through this.

BUT, if we never took the chance, we would never go out to eat and never have some good meals. There are plenty of times where she does great. So, we will keep trying even though every time we fail I say "Its going to be awhile before we can go out with her ever again." But then the next day Im ready to try again.

Oh the joys of being parents. Sometimes we just have to laugh.

Love
Jennifer

3 comments:

The Dorr Stop said...

Oh my gosh, we are going through the exact same thing right now! We usually go out to dinner on Friday nights, because after a long week, we just don't feel like cooking! Lately though, every time we try on a Friday Reagan is AWFUL!!! Like everyone is starting at us in the restaurant awful. But then we'll try again another time and she acts like a perfect angel! You really never know what they are going to do! They have their own little minds for sure! :) What part of Charleston did y'all move to? My hubs is from Summerville!

Unknown said...

Oh Cool! We are going to most likely build a home soon in West Ashley or Mount Pleasant, but right now we are renting in North Charleston. We had to find something pretty quickly. So we are close to Summerville. Do y'all visit here a lot?

The Dorr Stop said...

Oh fun!! We do visit a lot! We're both beach babies (I'm from Myrtle Beach/Conway area) that somehow ended up being landlocked, so we like to visit as much as we can! :)

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting