Thursday, January 15, 2015

Christmas Activities

This was the third year in a row that we've done our yearly tradition of the 25 Days of Christmas. I started this when I was pregnant with Jane and its getting better and better as Jane is getting older each year. I can't wait to do it next year with Jackson. 

Basically, in November, I write out each and every day from December 1-25 and plan something special for each and every day. I look to see what fun things are going on around town and fill those in first. Then I fill in fun things that we want to do at home. Then most weekdays we would just watch a Christmas movie and eat popcorn and a special Christmas dessert. Of course, each year we've had to move around some things with other things coming up last minute, but overall, we get everything done and its so fun. It also helps to not forget anything since it seems like those 25 days fly by so quickly. 
Here is a recap in pics of some of the things we did. 

We went downtown to see the Christmas Tree Lighting. This wasn't that fun to be honest. There was a tiny stage and a big crowd, so Jane couldn't see anything on the stage. We ended up running around after her for a long long time. This was fine, but it seemed like it was never going to get dark for them to light the tree. They had different performers come on stage, but again, we couldn't see anything. Then when it finally got dark, all of the sudden all the lights came on. There was no countdown or anything. It was kind of anti-climatic. Oh well, you live and you learn.


Jane made her first gingerbread house. I of course helped a lot. I put all the icing down where I thought she should put a candy. Then she placed the candy down. She also ate a ton of the candy, but thats the point right?


Visiting Santa this year was interesting. We told her we were going and she was so excited. She could hardly eat her dinner because she just couldn't wait to see him. I walked up to Santa holding Jane and she starting chatting with him about his reindeer and giving him a high five. But as soon as I lowered her down onto his lap, she FREAKED OUT! I don't blame her...look at him. Not the best looking Santa Ive ever seen. Then I asked her to say cheese and she stopped crying, but had this blank look on her face. Then she started talking to Santa again, but very timid. Once she hopped off his lap though, she was all about him again. She waved bye, blew him kisses, and talked about him the rest of the evening.


This was our absolute favorite thing this year and it was the James Island Festival of Lights. My mom brought me to this when I was little too. Basically you just drive around and look at all the light displays. There were more than 2 million lights this year. Jane loved that she got to get out of her carseat and sit on my lap. She screamed each thing she saw and was so excited for each and every display. She loved it so much that we took her back the night of her birthday. That time we actually got out, had dinner, made a build a bear type stuffed animal (a zebra) saw more lights walking around, rode a carousel with Daddy, and ate popcorn. There was also smores and a train you could ride, but it was crowded for the smores and freezing for the train. Maybe next year.


Of course we picked out a tree and decorated it with Jane. She didn't quite get putting the ornaments on. She would just place them on the tree and then I would have to go behind her and hang them on.


It was too dark to get pictures of us picking out the tree, but this was cute of us...


The past two years Ive had professional pictures for our Christmas Cards. This year I was in a frenzy to even get them done, and I honestly thought about not doing them at all until I got this candid picture of Jane. I swear this isn't posed. She sat right infront of the tree with that hat on and read that Christmas book. I almost died. Then I made the cards.


Thats about it. We also drank hot chocolate while driving around the neighborhood to see other peoples lights, watched a TON of Christmas movies, and did a lot of shopping.

Love,
Jennifer


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting